Saltwater beginner

Ayanna

Hey everyone, I just moved into my brand new apartment and seriously wanted to add a nice element to my living room. I've had plenty of fresh water fish in the past and always wanted to take the plunge into the saltwater life, now that I am better financially and have more time to put into upkeep; I'm ready. I'm looking to start a tank anywhere from 30-40g, any advice on about how much I'd be spending for this new set up, things I need, and general tips would be great. Thanks so much!

david1978

I guess the biggest question.
Fowler?
Corals?
Inverts?
So basically the stocking will have an effect on cost.

KDS

You can save money by buying dry rock instead of live rock, but the process takes longer. When I ran my 20 gallon reef tank, I opted not to go for a skimmer and just increased my water changes. If I was going to do it again I would get a HOB protein skimmer.

saltwater60

Few hundred bucks to a few thousand dollars. Really depends on live stock. You can buy some really expensive stuff.
I’d say $500 is a good starting point and the sky is the limit.

Jesterrace

Fish Only can be done for less (any LED light bar will do) and it's less demanding for testing and you don't have to dose anything. 40 breeder would be a great footprint for a smaller size salty tank and will give you some cool stocking options.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Willj626
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
Reeferxbetta
Replies