Saltwater 55g Tall Stocking Help

fishpersonallday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I may or may not make my new 55 (gallons) tall (hexagon) saltwater. I was planning on a goldfish tank because I have 800 of those and I'm ready for more.:emoji_laughing:
But if I do saltwater I want something that's fun, I love flame angelfish and tangs (obviously no tangs lol). I have had experience with clownfish and I work at a fish store so I'm not looking for "This is the best fish for beginners" obviously I'm not an expert but I would like a variety of new ideas. I love big fish (I know I can only do so much).And I would love to hear some opinions on here about what I should do!

Thanks!

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
fishpersonallday said:
I may or may not make my new 55 (gallons) tall (hexagon) saltwater. I was planning on a goldfish tank because I have 800 of those and I'm ready for more.:emoji_laughing:
But if I do saltwater I want something that's fun, I love flame angelfish and tangs (obviously no tangs lol). I have had experience with clownfish and I work at a fish store so I'm not looking for "This is the best fish for beginners" obviously I'm not an expert but I would like a variety of new ideas. I love big fish (I know I can only do so much).And I would love to hear some opinions on here about what I should do!

Thanks!
Hello! I always suggest going on to LA and filtering out.
https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/15/marine-fish?c=15&r=3166&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24
Just use this link and write down the fish you like as you go on and come back and post what you liked.
Also, would you like to do a Fish Only With Live Rock or Reef Tank With Corals? :) (Corals Limit your fish but reefs allow you to light up your tank with amazing corals!)

fishpersonallday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
NC122606 said:
Hello! I always suggest going on to LA and filtering out.
https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/15/marine-fish?c=15&r=3166&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24
Just use this link and write down the fish you like as you go on and come back and post what you liked.
Also, would you like to do a Fish Only With Live Rock or Reef Tank With Corals? :) (Corals Limit your fish but reefs allow you to light up your tank with amazing corals!)
I think it will just be live rock because I personally am scared to do corals lol!

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
fishpersonallday said:
I think it will just be live rock because I personally am scared to do corals lol!
Are you sure? Corals are not that hard if you choose the easier ones! There are tons of them but if you prefer fish over corals then go for Live Rock Only! :)

fishpersonallday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
NC122606 said:
Are you sure? Corals are not that hard if you choose the easier ones! There are tons of them but if you prefer fish over corals then go for Live Rock Only! :)
I do prefer fish over corals, and in the future I will definitely be trying corals!

Do you have any personal favorite fish that could work for me?

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
fishpersonallday said:
I do prefer fish over corals, and in the future I will definitely be trying corals!

Do you have any personal favorite fish that could work for me?
Ok so FOWLR to Reef, then I would plan it out like a reef in terms of fish.

Do you have any personal favorite fish that could work for me?[/QUOTE]
Sorry for the double post because I am not sure to edit will be the best as you do not get the Notification. :)
Take a look at some of my favorites for a 55.

1. Marine Betta
2. FlameBack Angelfish
3. Clownfish Pair
4. Banggai Cardinalfish
5. Royal Gramma
6. Snowflake Eel
Etc
So many others I may have missed! Check out the Wrasses also!

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
fishpersonallday said:

Thanks!
Not trying to be a party pooper here but I wouldn't recommend a hex for a first salty tank as the dimensions are not well suited for a variety of salty fish (ie Flame Angel) the other thing is that tall tanks are arguably the worst for saltwater as they are more difficult to get good lighting to, keep good even flow and worst of all a pain in the butt to clean and maintain. Furthmore they limit stocking options for fish as they prefer horizontal swimming room. The Flame Angel is pretty active and can be aggressive to boot so I would say at least a 4 foot long tank for one if you want to have a good shot at keeping it content. I had a Flame Angel in a 30 inch long tank and it was a complete jerk to it's tank mates.

NC122606 said:
Sorry for the double post because I am not sure to edit will be the best as you do not get the Notification. :)
Take a look at some of my favorites for a 55.

1. Marine Betta
2. FlameBack Angelfish
3. Clownfish Pair
4. Banggai Cardinalfish
5. Royal Gramma
6. Snowflake Eel
Etc
So many others I may have missed! Check out the Wrasses also!
That's a good list for a standard 4 foot long 55 gallon, but if you look it's a 55 gallon hex and as such the snowflake eel, marine betta and possibly the Flameback would need to be removed from the list as would most of the Wrasses since it won't have the horizontal swimming room or space that these fish need.

fishpersonallday

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jesterrace said:
Not trying to be a party pooper here but I wouldn't recommend a hex for a first salty tank as the dimensions are not well suited for a variety of salty fish (ie Flame Angel) the other thing is that tall tanks are arguably the worst for saltwater as they are more difficult to get good lighting to, keep good even flow and worst of all a pain in the butt to clean and maintain. Furthmore they limit stocking options for fish as they prefer horizontal swimming room. The Flame Angel is pretty active and can be aggressive to boot so I would say at least a 4 foot long tank for one if you want to have a good shot at keeping it content. I had a Flame Angel in a 30 inch long tank and it was a complete jerk to it's tank mates.

That's a good list for a standard 4 foot long 55 gallon, but if you look it's a 55 gallon hex and as such the snowflake eel, marine betta and possibly the Flameback would need to be removed from the list as would most of the Wrasses since it won't have the horizontal swimming room or space that these fish need.
That's a very good point! Thank you for telling me!

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
fishpersonallday said:
That's a very good point! Thank you for telling me!
Not a problem, I always tell folks to go with tanks that maximize length followed by width for their tanks as it makes things easier for maintenance and increases your fish stocking options. If you were an experienced salty guy and wanted to try something that was more challenging that would be one thing but I sure wouldn't recommend one to start with.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom