salting ?

curlysue

Reaction score
I have a 30 gallon tank and i have 8 tetras and 3 mollies and 1 pleco in there,my question is ...will salting the water hurt my tetras?andif not how much should i put in there?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mollies can handle a brackish water condition so their tolerance for salt is a lot higher than that of other fish, but tetras are sensitive to a lot of meds and need to have them cut back from standard strength to half strength from what even the greater number of aquarium fish can handle.  Salt is not one that I can find listed for the tetra though.  I did find a book that says that most freshwater species can handle a 0.01 percent solution of salt (aquarium salt only) in the freshwater aquarium.  But they stressed that it should only be used as a long-term bath until the nitrite concentration falls to a safe level as they are recommending it being used to treat nitrate toxicity.  The general thought in my books was that other than mollies, it is not recommended to use salt as a continuous bath.  Salt is a medication for other freshwater fish and every time we add something to the water we change the character of the environment of the fish and give them one more thing to have to adjust to.  If you decide to use salt I have one book that recommends no more than 1 teaspoon for 5 gallons (disolve in a small amount of water and add slowly and stir well)  You may want to add in a couple of stages to observe the fish and be ready to remove the water and replace if the fish show signs of distress (their suggestion not mine).

OOPS.... just noticed you have a pleco and he is scaleless. Salt is out....he cannot handle it at all.

Rose

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since they are freshwater fish they will be fine without the salt. Mollies have been tank raised for so many generations that even a brackish environment isn't necessary.
Carol

curlysue

Reaction score
Thank you for all your great help....you guys and gals rock ;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom