Salt

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by JamesCain80, Feb 15, 2013.

1. JamesCain80

JamesCain80Well Known MemberMember

I have been searching around for salt to use in the future for any diseases to come along and I was hoping someone on here would help me out so I don't get the wrong kind and hurt or kill my little fishes. :;dete

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  2. flyinggogo

flyinggogoValued MemberMember

Aquarium salt not marine salt. Pretty sure epson salt is ok too, not table salt because they have clumping agents in them.

3. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

i have lots of backup meds for just in case. i really have found no use for salt except epson salt dips if the fish is constipated, but thats it...

4. OP
    OP
    JamesCain80

I appreciate it, I was wondering how salt would even help freshwater fish in the first place. I've was reading a lot of older threads and seen that some where using to help promote gill support and other illnesses.
    I appreciate the help. I was just curious if it really doesn't do anything to help than I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
  5. bankruptjojo

salt is harsh on freshwater fish... i know a lot of people use salt to help kill ich or other parasites. the problem is it helps kill ich but also stresses you fish. i have just found there is usually better choice then salt.

6. flyinggogo

I salt all my tanks. In my chiclid tank i use 1tbs epson salt 1 tsp baking soda and 1/4 tsp marine salt every five gallons. In my livebearer tank i use 1tbs aquarium salt per 5 gallons and my other tank that has otos and corys i use 1 tsp aquarium salt per 5 gallons. I find my fish live longer if i use salt so i do.

7. OP
    OP
    JamesCain80

I appreciate the information, I think I'm going to leave the salt alone and stick to the recommended ich and parasites removers. I feel it'll be a lot better for the fish and less stressful on them.
    That's the main thing I was struggling with, I didn't believe putting salt in with freshwater fish would work out very good for the fish.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
  8. flyinggogo

I would have to disagree that meds are better than salt. If salt will work that is clearly the best option to meds. What kind of fish are we talking about, that would determine if and how much salt to use. Ex. Mollies definatly would like salt. Neons would not.

9. OP
    OP
    JamesCain80

I have cichlids, tiger barbs, rose barbs, small pleco, algae eater and rainbow sharks.

10. bankruptjojo

some fish can tolerate salt more than others but if there freshwater fish i dont use salt. if they are in freshwater in the wild that means they would not come into contact with salt in nature so why would i add it.... catfish are suppose to be one of the worst when it comes to salt. i would not use it with my ottos.

ps, i have fish that all live without salt for a long time.... and i mean no salt at all.

it depends what were talking about meds wise....

internal paracites, salt will not help it takes meds...

ich, dont need any meds just warm water and gravel vacs.

constipation, i fast and feed peas, the epson is not even usually necessary.

fungus, i use maracyn yes a med. i have used this stuff with lots of fish and inverts. there is nothing i feel safer putting into my tank.

what other sickness do we need to cover?

11. flyinggogo

If they are african cichlids they would like them not sure about the others. New world cichlids dont really need salt. Salt will promote slimecoat, and all fish need electrolytes (salt) just some not as much as others. South american fish do great with no salt for the most part.

12. tnfishkeeper

tnfishkeeperValued MemberMember

I also salt my tanks.

13. OP
    OP
    JamesCain80

I have South America cichlids. They are Bolivian Rams.

14. flyinggogo

I understand your concern but i bought 5 otos all made. 6 corrys all made it. 4 synodontis multipunctatas all made it. They have all been alive over a year. And salt substitutes electrolytes so saying fish dont come into contact with it in the wild is wrong.

15. OP
    OP
    JamesCain80

I'm going to go ahead and get some and keep it on hand. When it comes time to apply. I'll message you for tips on how to do so.

16. bankruptjojo

Freshwater fish are found in shallow wetlands, lakes and rivers, where the salinity of water is less than 0.05 percent

Read more: What Is the Different Between Freshwater Vs Saltwater Fish? | eHow.com

that is nothing... but yes some a tiny amount of salt.

there is copper in water.. and copper is deadly to inverts but they can live with it. its such a small amount.

obviously fish can live in salt but what is better? guess ask the fish lol... you wont convince me to add salt to my tanks. ps there is electrolytes in the new water i add during my weekly 50% water changes. also in the vitamins i add in vita chem.

17. flyinggogo

Yes us who religiously change our water do replace electrolytes but most people dont do weekly 50% changes or even weekly changes for that matter. Not trying to convince you. There is another side though and most opinions here are of like mind to yours, so i have to argue a bit harder for my side to be heard.

18. bankruptjojo

that is true you deff have a uphill battle here lol. i do know there is a lot of people that do use salt. i actually used it on my first betta with no bad results. but i think im deff set in my ways now... if your fish are doing fine then go for it :)

19. btate617

btate617Well Known MemberMember

That is just a false statement. Many fresh water fish are found in salty water. Some populations of Vieja Maculicauda in Costa Rica are found in complete salt water just to give an example.

Brian

20. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I am not joking but seriously curious. If populations of the fish developed to live in complete salt water wouldn't that make them saltwater fish? Or are they just really good at osmoregulation?