Salt Water Stocking Question

sgar

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,
Will preface this with I have never had a saltwater tank. I have a 30 gallon set up with two Kribs in it and may move them to my 65 gallon and try a saltwater tank. My question is, do salt water tanks use the same 1 inch of fish (adult size) per gallon? Reading through some of the other threads it looks like a lot of saltwater fish seem to need a 30 gallon minimum for 1 fish.

Still a ways out from jumping into a salt water tank, but just trying to gather information for now.

Lchi87

Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore! The inch per gallon rule doesn’t really give you accurate stocking even in freshwater because lots of other factors like bioload, aggression and activity level all come into play as well.

Speaking strictly saltwater, there are actually some fish that do well in tanks smaller than 30 gallons so while you may not be able to do larger fish, you can enjoy things clownfish, firefish, smaller gobies and blennies as well as a bunch of crabs and snails if you wanted to.

There’s a ton of helpful stickies in the Saltwater Beginners forum that would definitely be of use to you in your research so I’d head there and check them out! Nart ’s budget nano guide is a favorite of mine.

kanzekatores

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
2 years
You could start off with a clownfish pair (ocellaris, or cool varieties like black ice, picasso, or pink skunk if your lfs offers them. I'm planning on a picasso clown pair for my sw). Clownfish pairs can be kept in 20g, 15g, or even 10g, but with a 30 gallon you could perhaps have more space for more fish. Firefish and gobies are good options. I like the yellow clown goby. It is pretty common so widely available. let us know what you decide

OP
sgar

sgar

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Lchi87 said:
Welcome to Fishlore! The inch per gallon rule doesn’t really give you accurate stocking even in freshwater because lots of other factors like bioload, aggression and activity level all come into play as well.

Speaking strictly saltwater, there are actually some fish that do well in tanks smaller than 30 gallons so while you may not be able to do larger fish, you can enjoy things clownfish, firefish, smaller gobies and blennies as well as a bunch of crabs and snails if you wanted to.

There’s a ton of helpful stickies in the Saltwater Beginners forum that would definitely be of use to you in your research so I’d head there and check them out! Nart ’s budget nano guide is a favorite of mine.
Thanks Lchi87. Will definitely check that out

watermelon46 said:
You could start off with a clownfish pair (ocellaris, or cool varieties like black ice, picasso, or pink skunk if your lfs offers them. I'm planning on a picasso clown pair for my sw). Clownfish pairs can be kept in 20g, 15g, or even 10g, but with a 30 gallon you could perhaps have more space for more fish. Firefish and gobies are good options. I like the yellow clown goby. It is pretty common so widely available. let us know what you decide
Thanks Watermelon. Still a ways out as I have never done saltwater, but want to. Trying to make sure I understand the differences before so I do not kill the fish. I am thinking by the end of the year I may make the transition on that tank. I have been tossing around the idea of clowns or cardinals. Will look at the firefish and Goby as well. Hard to distinguish some at the local Petco as the pictures are blank and I am not up to speed on most the saltwater fish.

NC122606

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
sgar said:
Hello,
Will preface this with I have never had a saltwater tank. I have a 30 gallon set up with two Kribs in it and may move them to my 65 gallon and try a saltwater tank. My question is, do salt water tanks use the same 1 inch of fish (adult size) per gallon? Reading through some of the other threads it looks like a lot of saltwater fish seem to need a 30 gallon minimum for 1 fish.

Still a ways out from jumping into a salt water tank, but just trying to gather information for now.
Nice! Why not stick with the 65 Gallon for saltwater you will have more options! Now is this going to be a reef (With corals) FOWLR (Fish with live rock / No coral)?

OP
sgar

sgar

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
NC122606 said:
Nice! Why not stick with the 65 Gallon for saltwater you will have more options! Now is this going to be a reef (With corals) FOWLR (Fish with live rock / No coral)?
NC, It was a thought in the beginning, but currently I can move the two fish from the 30 to the 65 but not vice versa. The 30 would be way overstocked. The wife also is dead set against another tank, was trying to get the OK for a 120, still working on that.

christopher27

Reactions
Experience
5 years
sgar said:
Hello,

Far from it, In a 30 gallon you could keep maximum about 4-5 smaller fish like gobies or firefish. Some other options no one else has mentioned are wrasses (some species can be aggressive) dottybacks, or a royal gramma. Keep in mind some gobies and banggaI cardinals will mostly not eat pellet or flake foods. Just some information ive gathered as I'm in the same stage as you right now

saltwater60

Well Known
Reactions
My general rule for saltwater fish keeping is I keep 1/3 what I would in a fresh water tank. As others have mentioned it’s not that simple though.

30 gallon isn’t a bad size but it’s awful high(normally) and I don’t like the footprint for saltwater tanks. Most fish like the bottom or rock work so the top may look relatively empty. Especially smaller fish like you’ll need. Large fish are more open swimmers.

OP
sgar

sgar

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Here is what I ended up with. I went with 2 banggaI cardinals, royal gramma, coral angel beauty and a saddleback clown fish. The clown seems to stay middle to top two thirds. The Angel is all over the place, weaving in and out of the rock. As mentioned above the cardinals so far do not take flake so have been feeding frozen.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reactions
Wow you added all that at once? That’s a lot to do in one hit. My general rule is one fish per week. You stocked it all on day one. You had better be watching your parameters and doing water changes.
Did you cycle the tank? What type of live rock did you add cured or dry?

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
Is saltwater cycling not like freshwater? Or can you cycle to 3-4ppm ammonia and add a large amount at once?

OP
sgar

sgar

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
no, not in one day. 3 times over 2ish week span. I set up the tank and let it sit for 2 weeks to cycle. Was impatient so I got the cardinals. A week or so later added the coral beauty angel. probably about 5 days after that I added the clown and royal gramma

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
I would def watch parameters 2weeks is definitely not cycled I wouldnt think. Took my 6 with my freshwater

OP
sgar

sgar

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
here is what it currently looks like. So far everyone seems to be playing nice,

Attachments

OP
sgar

sgar

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Rcslade124 said:
I would def watch parameters 2weeks is definitely not cycled I wouldnt think. Took my 6 with my freshwater
The parameters have stayed stable. I did start with live sand that had bacteria along with live rock that should have had some as they came out of cycled tanks at the pet store (unless that dies in transition, not sure). Have had 0 issue with the tank so far

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
Looks nice I am slowly building a 40 gallon breeder. Hopefully have skimmer by end of this month and hopefully a return pump. Then I need a 40 gallon for sump. Waiting for dollar a gallon sale again. Then its making stand and sump and plumbing. So I'm far from having a tank running lol

OP
sgar

sgar

Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Rcslade124 said:
Looks nice I am slowly building a 40 gallon breeder. Hopefully have skimmer by end of this month and hopefully a return pump. Then I need a 40 gallon for sump. Waiting for dollar a gallon sale again. Then its making stand and sump and plumbing. So I'm far from having a tank running lol
Petco by me is currently running $1 per gallon, but believe it is up to 29 gallon and the larger tanks being 50% off. Was looking into a bigger tank but would need to do a sump and currently do not fully grasp how to do it. everything I see has you cutting a whole in the main tank for the water to run to the sump, I assume there must be a way to do it without cutting a whole in the tank. Still researching that. For now the 30 gallon is as big as the wife is allowing. We will see down the road when the Angels in my 65 gallon die. They are going on 1 year, so it is hopefully a ways down the road before I have a decision to make.

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
They make hob overflow boxes to eliminate the drilling. Would work kI da like a canister filter. Just look up hob overflow box. I have just read sI xe the box is at waterline e the syphon can be hard to keep goi.g.

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
Gf will be killing me but I gotta get the 40 gallon to start the sump I was hoping for a month or 2 owell it's for here lol

Lchi87

Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you’re gonna drill, I’d make sure its the kind of glass that you can drill without damaging. Just bought a 75 and it was clearly marked DO NOT DRILL: TEMPERED GLASS.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reactions
Tou can just use another tank for the sump. You don’t have to buy a super expensive acrylic one.

I’ll bet tour GF spends more on make up and clothes.

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
No I'm going to buy another 40 gallon breeder dollar per gallon its 49$ so not bad

New Threads