Salt Water Stocking Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Stocking' started by sgar, Aug 22, 2019.

1. sgar

sgarNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello,
    Will preface this with I have never had a saltwater tank. I have a 30 gallon set up with two Kribs in it and may move them to my 65 gallon and try a saltwater tank. My question is, do salt water tanks use the same 1 inch of fish (adult size) per gallon? Reading through some of the other threads it looks like a lot of saltwater fish seem to need a 30 gallon minimum for 1 fish.

Still a ways out from jumping into a salt water tank, but just trying to gather information for now.

2. Lchi87

Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +10,419
    Experience:
    3 years
    Welcome to Fishlore! The inch per gallon rule doesn’t really give you accurate stocking even in freshwater because lots of other factors like bioload, aggression and activity level all come into play as well.

Speaking strictly saltwater, there are actually some fish that do well in tanks smaller than 30 gallons so while you may not be able to do larger fish, you can enjoy things clownfish, firefish, smaller gobies and blennies as well as a bunch of crabs and snails if you wanted to. :)

There’s a ton of helpful stickies in the Saltwater Beginners forum that would definitely be of use to you in your research so I’d head there and check them out! @Nart ’s budget nano guide is a favorite of mine. :)

3. watermelon46

watermelon46Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +142
    Experience:
    1 year
    You could start off with a clownfish pair (ocellaris, or cool varieties like black ice, picasso, or pink skunk if your lfs offers them. I'm planning on a picasso clown pair for my sw). Clownfish pairs can be kept in 20g, 15g, or even 10g, but with a 30g you could perhaps have more space for more fish. Firefish and gobies are good options. I like the yellow clown goby. It is pretty common so widely available. let us know what you decide :)

4. OP
    OP
    sgar

sgarNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Thanks Lchi87. Will definitely check that out

Thanks Watermelon. Still a ways out as I have never done saltwater, but want to. Trying to make sure I understand the differences before so I do not kill the fish. I am thinking by the end of the year I may make the transition on that tank. I have been tossing around the idea of clowns or cardinals. Will look at the firefish and Goby as well. Hard to distinguish some at the local Petco as the pictures are blank and I am not up to speed on most the saltwater fish.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2019
  5. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +481
    Experience:
    Just started
    Nice! Why not stick with the 65 Gallon for saltwater you will have more options! Now is this going to be a reef (With corals) FOWLR (Fish with live rock / No coral)?

6. OP
    OP
    sgar

sgarNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    NC, It was a thought in the beginning, but currently I can move the two fish from the 30 to the 65 but not vice versa. The 30 would be way overstocked. The wife also is dead set against another tank, was trying to get the OK for a 120, still working on that.