Salt Water Beginner Fish For 29 Gallon

Dch48

Well Known Member
Messages
2,240
Reaction score
1,435
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
If the Oscar is young, you may have to wait a while. They can live a long time.

Starting saltwater fish are usually Damsels, Gobies, small yellow Tangs, and clowns. For clowns, the tank raised false Perculas (Ocellaris I believe they're called) are the best. Saltwater fish need more space so I would say 4 or maybe 5 small ones would be all you could keep in a 29gal. The Yellow Tang is very hardy but can outgrow your tank in a few years so the smaller the better with them.
 

penguin02

Well Known Member
Messages
1,453
Reaction score
967
Points
118
Experience
2 years
The fact that you have an Oscar in a 29g tells me you probably haven't done a ton of research... I agree with the above: how educated are you? That will determine how heavily you should stock and what species you should get
 

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Messages
2,996
Reaction score
1,151
Points
198
Experience
1 year
Dch48 said:
If the Oscar is young, you may have to wait a while. They can live a long time.

Starting saltwater fish are usually Damsels, Gobies, small yellow Tangs, and clowns. For clowns, the tank raised false Perculas (Ocellaris I believe they're called) are the best. Saltwater fish need more space so I would say 4 or maybe 5 small ones would be all you could keep in a 29gal. The Yellow Tang is very hardy but can outgrow your tank in a few years so the smaller the better with them.
Damsels are jerks to other fish, so I would say they would not be a good choice with a newbie in that size tankand a Yellow Tang (even a small one) in a 29 gallon would be just plain cruel. I often feel that my 90 gallon is barely sufficient to house my small Yellow Tang long term. I agree with the rest though.
 

Dch48

Well Known Member
Messages
2,240
Reaction score
1,435
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
Jesterrace said:
Damsels are jerks to other fish, so I would say they would not be a good choice with a newbie in that size tankand a Yellow Tang (even a small one) in a 29 gallon would be just plain cruel. I often feel that my 90 gallon is barely sufficient to house my small Yellow Tang long term. I agree with the rest though.
I kept a Yellow Tang, a Sailfin Tang, a Blue Angel, a Tomato Clown, and a purple lobster in a 30 gallon for a long time. The Angel was very small when I got it and when it grew and started losing it's stripes, I gave it away. It would not be cruel. When I said Damsels, I didn't say to put other fish with them. I know they can get aggressive. When I had my tank, Yellow tail Blue Damsels or the Blue Devils were often used as cycling fish for a saltwater tank becase they were cheap and hardy. People often gave them away after the tank was established. I was simply listing the fish that were considered the hardiest when I had a saltwater tank.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

lonehunter

Valued Member
Messages
69
Reaction score
10
Points
43
Sry for late response I’m not to educated in saltwater

penguin02 said:
The fact that you have an Oscar in a 29g tells me you probably haven't done a ton of research... I agree with the above: how educated are you? That will determine how heavily you should stock and what species you should get [/QUOTEwell it kinda wasn’t my fault I had a big 75 gallon tank with him but I my mom had to get rid of it
I feel bad that he’s there

Oh and thanks for the responses guys
 

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Messages
2,996
Reaction score
1,151
Points
198
Experience
1 year
Dch48 said:
I kept a Yellow Tang, a Sailfin Tang, a Blue Angel, a Tomato Clown, and a purple lobster in a 30 gallon for a long time. The Angel was very small when I got it and when it grew and started losing it's stripes, I gave it away. It would not be cruel. When I said Damsels, I didn't say to put other fish with them. I know they can get aggressive. When I had my tank, Yellow tail Blue Damsels or the Blue Devils were often used as cycling fish for a saltwater tank becase they were cheap and hardy. People often gave them away after the tank was established. I was simply listing the fish that were considered the hardiest when I had a saltwater tank.
Holy ****, you literally had the blueprint on WHAT NOT TO DO with a saltwater tank. You don't cycle with fish in and you don't stick a full size Angel, Yellow Tang and a Sailfin in a 30 gallon tank.
 

Dch48

Well Known Member
Messages
2,240
Reaction score
1,435
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
Jesterrace said:
Holy ****, you literally had the blueprint on WHAT NOT TO DO with a saltwater tank. You don't cycle with fish in and you don't stick a full size Angel, Yellow Tang and a Sailfin in a 30 gallon tank.
LOL I didn't say I cycled my tank with fish in. I just said that back then many people used Damsels for that and one store by me would even take them back after the cycle was done. My fish were very far away from being full sized too. None were bigger than an inch and a half when I got them. When they got about twice that size, they got rehomed.

FYI, I cycled my tank with 4 or 5 bait shrimp ( I was in Florida then). They died but they were destined for that anyway. They lived a lot longer than they would have if someone else had bought them for bait.
 

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Messages
2,996
Reaction score
1,151
Points
198
Experience
1 year
Dch48 said:
LOL I didn't say I cycled my tank with fish in. I just said that back then many people used Damsels for that and one store by me would even take them back after the cycle was done. My fish were very far away from being full sized too. None were bigger than an inch and a half when I got them. When they got about twice that size, they got rehomed.

FYI, I cycled my tank with 4 or 5 bait shrimp ( I was in Florida then). They died but they were destined for that anyway. They lived a lot longer than they would have if someone else had bought them for bait.
Fair enough, although I feel that the Re-homing is not the best practice as each tank transfer puts undue stress on the fish.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom