Question Salt Water 10gallon Start Up [need Advising]

SalmonMarisol

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I just set up a 10 gallon yesterday and I’m wondering what coral would be easiest to grow with just a regular LED bar that comes with an Aqueon Tank. I’ve switched out the Aqueon filter. I added a circulation pump, live sand, and live rock. I’ve also dosed the tank with seed as recommended from my LFS. I was wondering if there’s any coral I could grow or would I need to upgrade my light? Also, what order can I add live stock? Is it cuc, coral, then fish? And how long would you recommend waiting before adding coral?

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You will definitely need to upgrade that light. Corals and cheap lights are so hit and miss and the cost of a few frags lost would easily pay for a decent quality light. For a 10 gallon or less you could try a PAR38 bulb (23Watt version) or two from ABI:

BTW Treated Tapwater or RODI? Treated Tap often causes problems especially for reef systems.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Congratulations on the new tank!

I agree with @Jesterrace on upgrading the light if you want to grow corals. There are a few generic chinese black box type lights that may do but in my experience, saving up a little longer and buying a good light is well worth it. I would first make sure you’re up to speed on your saltwater tank research (there’s quite a few stickies in the Saltwater Beginner forum chockfull of good information) and then make sure your tank is cycled before adding your coral and fish. If you’re not sure about keeping coral, you can start with a FOWLR first and then once you get comfy with maintaining a saltwater tank, invest in coral and a good light. That’s the route I went.

SalmonMarisol

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Congratulations on the new tank!

I agree with @Jesterrace on upgrading the light if you want to grow corals. There are a few generic chinese black box type lights that may do but in my experience, saving up a little longer and buying a good light is well worth it. I would first make sure you’re up to speed on your saltwater tank research (there’s quite a few stickies in the Saltwater Beginner forum chockfull of good information) and then make sure your tank is cycled before adding your coral and fish. If you’re not sure about keeping coral, you can start with a FOWLR first and then once you get comfy with maintaining a saltwater tank, invest in coral and a good light. That’s the route I went.
Do you know how many watts I need or lumens?

SalmonMarisol

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You will definitely need to upgrade that light. Corals and cheap lights are so hit and miss and the cost of a few frags lost would easily pay for a decent quality light. For a 10 gallon or less you could try a PAR38 bulb (23Watt version) or two from ABI:

BTW Treated Tapwater or RODI? Treated Tap often causes problems especially for reef systems.
RODI

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you know how many watts I need or lumens?
Lights are usually measured in PAR like what @Jesterrace has already mentioned but I can’t say I know enough about it to explain it to you properly :banghead: In general, certain categories of coral, like mushrooms, like less intense light and so are usually placed towards the bottom of the reef and others like stony corals, prefer intense lighting (and flow) and so are placed near the top.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom