Salt Use

1. Jason Well Known Member Member

Is it ok to use salt when you have fish that don't like salt because they dont have proper scales or whatever. Or can you still use it a reduced amount? How often do you put salt in your tanks for treating and or for swordtails and mollies who need it to thrive?

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Salt can kill some fish such as corys, clown loaches so they need to be treated some other way for disease. If you chose to use salt for swordtails and mollies then add salt only when you do a water change. Since salt doesn't evaporate don't add salt when topping off the tank, just during water changes.
    Carol

3. fletch Member Member

I dont use salt. never have and its fine. my fish get on very well.
    Even my bumblebee gobys are happy and they usualy wilt if they arent in brackish water.
    Some people swear by it, but in my experience it doesnt make a blind bit of difference

4. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

If you have catfish such as Cories, they are probably going to be harmed a lot more from salt than other fish will be from no salt. If you are really into the livebearers, and wish to breed them, it might be a good idea to have a tank with only salt-tolerent fish and add 1 Tbsp of salt per 5 gallons (perhaps more for Mollies, less for Platies & Guppies).

5. Jason Well Known Member Member

hmm probably wont use salt now, dont want to hurt my cory

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Good idea. Salt in different quanities and situations can be helpful but research all the fish in any tank your gonna use it in and make sure its ok first.
    Carol