Salt To Fresh Tank

MarvinTheBetta
Alright. I don’t know if I’m in the right thread or not but I have a 75 gallon saltwater tank with a canister filter and I want to change it to a freshwater tank due to maintenance. I have heard about scrubbing the tank with water but how do I clean the filter and tubes leading to and from it? The filter is fairly new so I don’t want to buy a new one. Any ideas?

e_watson09
Clean everything by running clean fresh water through it and start fresh with new media

MomeWrath
If you have salt creep or calcium buildup you can get it off with white vinegar. I just did this in January for the same reason. My best advice - don't. LOL. Now I'm starting up planted tank and still dosing stuff and spent a pile on lights. You will never be happy with gravel and plastic after having a reef tank. It's just a different obsession! haha

MarvinTheBetta
Magicpenny75 said:
If you have salt creep or calcium buildup you can get it off with white vinegar. I just did this in January for the same reason. My best advice - don't. LOL. Now I'm starting up planted tank and still dosing stuff and spent a pile on lights. You will never be happy with gravel and plastic after having a reef tank. It's just a different obsession! haha
How should I clean the parts of the filter that I can’t reach to clean it out? I’ve wanted an Oscar for a while and just got the chance to buy one son I’m trying to get it changed over. Should I drain it and fill it with freshwater (after all rock and sand and stuff is out) and and pour in the white vinegar and let the filter run? Or should I try it only running fresh water through the hoses?

MomeWrath
You can run vinegar through it and then rinse with fresh.
How funny...that's what I did....I got super bored with the oscar in a month. Hope you do better than I did
Definitely change out and put all new media in though. The BB is different in freshwater so re-using the media is pointless.

MarvinTheBetta
Magicpenny75 said:
How funny...that's what I did....I got super bored with the oscar in a month. Hope you do better than I did
Definitely change out and put all new media in though. The BB is different in freshwater so re-using the media is pointless.
Alright. I’ll try doing that this weekend. Thanks for your help!

Magicpenny75 said:
Can you send me a picture of your planted tank and if you have any of your sw tank!

MomeWrath
Sure thing! This is now...and a year ago...
15609811134553426168193658450862.jpg

IMG_5637.jpg

Jesterrace
Going from saltwater to freshwater is a crime IMHO. Seriously though, I understand the maintenance factor. As mentioned above distilled white vinegar will go a long way to sanitizing the tank.

MarvinTheBetta
Magicpenny75 said:
Sure thing! This is now...and a year ago...
15609811134553426168193658450862.jpg

IMG_5637.jpg
Those are nice! My planted tanks didn’t go to well. It grew algae like crazy. I can't wait for this transition to be over. I’m already mad at the stupid thing because I had the glass lid off and accidentally stepped on it and it shattered all over the carpet.

MarvinTheBetta
Magicpenny75 said:
So I just thought about this. How much of that vinegar should be put in the tank with the fresh water to clean everything?

MomeWrath
MarvinTheBetta said:
So I just thought about this. How much of that vinegar should be put in the tank with the fresh water to clean everything?
Well I didn't fill the whole thing up. I used a spray bottle of about 30% vinegar on the tank insides. I cleaned mine in place in the living room. I would use a 30% solution to clean the canister as well, maybe hook it up to a five gallon bucket though. Not sure on that, I have never owned a canister filter so that's just a guess. I think 30% will do it though as far as the strength...

MarvinTheBetta
Magicpenny75 said:
Well I didn't fill the whole thing up. I used a spray bottle of about 30% vinegar on the tank insides. I cleaned mine in place in the living room. I would use a 30% solution to clean the canister as well, maybe hook it up to a five gallon bucket though. Not sure on that, I have never owned a canister filter so that's just a guess. I think 30% will do it though as far as the strength...
Oh ok thank you for all your help!

Top Bottom