Salt question

Sharkdude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
since marine salt is recommended for duplicating brackish conditions I wanted to know the proper measurements for this brand:

or if you guys know a better kind kindly point me in the right direction
Thanx!

ColumbianShark3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you have a HydroMeter if not you will need one, and on the package they usually only give mixing instructions for pure saltwater not brackish, at least form what Iv seen of coarse, this is what I just got

Last edited:

Sharkdude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
so for marine salt i should use half of what its says to use? I think i may have confused myself...I've been using API Aquarium salt and doubling the dose(read it somewhere on fishlore) and i want to start using the proper salt.

ColumbianShark3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah that's the same mistake I made, thanks to the people of FishLore I learned that it must be marine salt to duplicate brack water, and hhmmm cutting it in half may be taking off to much

EDIT: sorry I said the instructions say 1/4 cup per gallon its actually 1/2 cup per gallon again sorry

Sharkdude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah that's the same mistake I made, thanks to the people of FishLore I learned that it must be marine salt to duplicate brack water, and hhmmm cutting it in half may be taking off to much

EDIT: sorry I said the instructions say 1/4 cup per gallon its actually 1/2 cup per gallon again sorry
Thanx very much for your help

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How much salt you use depends completely on what your target specific gravity is.

Also, batches of salt can be inconsistent from one to the next, so it's not as simple as just measuring it out. You'll need a hydrometer or refractometer to measure specific gravity.

ColumbianShark3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I guess once you get your salt you could put a gallon of water in a bucket (or more) and slowly add salt until you reach proper SG then you know how much salt you need per gallon

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom