Salt in freshwater tank

1. M

MaineAttraction New Member Member

I have a ten gallon aquarium with a female gold dust Molly and a male red wagtail platy. I've done some research and found that both of these fish do well in a tank with a small amount of aquarium salt. I'm going to do a pwc tonight and I'm wondering if I should add some salt. If so, how much should I add, and how should I go about adding it?

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Those fish will also do well in a tank without salt. So if it were me, I would just skip it.

3. Meeps83

Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

I'd skip it too, especial if you have other species in there like catfish or tetras.

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

5. nexigen

nexigen Valued Member Member

A lot of places recommend using salt, they claim it calms the fish and prevents Ich. But as long as they have a decent number of hiding places and aren't freaking out when they see you, then they're not stressed. From what I understand, using salt in the long run will shorten their life span and lead to kidney failure - eventually. Just remember, if you choose to use it, it will not evaporate and the only time you would replace salt is when you're changing their water. I don't recall the exact ratio, but I think for a 10 gallon it would be less than 2 TBSP and make sure you dilute it in a glass of tank water first. Otherwise the fish may try to eat it, as it doesn't dissolve right away.

6. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

There's a reason they call it "fresh" water....... :p