Salt For Amano Shrimp Fry

Demeter

Can kosher or Jungle aquarium salt be used for making the brackish water for the little shrimplets? I’ve read extensively and for the most part it looks like 25-35g of salt to quart of water for the larval stage of amano shrimp. I do not have marine salt that is for salt water aquariums but I do have kosher (for canning or pickling) and freshwater aquarium salt on hand. I hear that both these salts can be used for hatching brine shrimp so I feel like they’d work for the amano shrimp.

This is an experiment in progress and I will not be too devostated if the shrimp fry die. In fact I plan to feed some of the freshly hatched larva to my betta fry So far I have one berried female in 3 gallons of fresh water with an air stone and heater. I can see the eyes of the babies so their hatching is close.

9A8630E1-F0AB-4304-A642-82F0DC3D7511.jpeg
FB3A70C6-9A18-46ED-9283-B6E7F30EAE64.jpeg
DEEBAAF1-1381-427D-B24C-B91E99C613DA.jpeg

NightShade

Bump.. good question. Does marine salt not come in small containers?

Demeter

I’m sure it does but I would have to drive about an hour to get some. I’d rather use what’s on hand.

Mushishi

As long as it is pure, non-iodized salt, you are fine. A lot of "aquarium" or "marine" salt is just pure sea salt. Yes, some companies have additional conditioners or medication mixed in, so make sure you read the label properly. Most Kosher salts are not iodized, but there are a lot of anti-caking agents out there that many companies use. Be careful and just read!

Demeter

Good to know, I think I’ll be using the aquarium salt then. We’ll see how it goes.

KinsKicks

I don't think it would work as well. The issue with just picking salt is that it's pure sodium chloride. Marine salt (or even reef salt) is made up of a bunch of other trace minerals as well which help in development of the larvae (just as a side note, I have tried aquarium salt before, and the larvae never seem to grow correctly and most of my batches ended up dying before reaching subadult (where they go back to fresh))

Demeter

That is a very good point. I’m going to try it out with this salt and next time i’m in town I might pick up some marine salt mix for any furture batches

NightShade

I don't think it would work as well. The issue with just picking salt is that it's pure sodium chloride. Marine salt (or even reef salt) is made up of a bunch of other trace minerals as well which help in development of the larvae (just as a side note, I have tried aquarium salt before, and the larvae never seem to grow correctly and most of my batches ended up dying before reaching subadult (where they go back to fresh))

My instinct told me this.. but I wasn't entirely sure enough to give advice Thanks Kin!! Love gaining knowledge

Demeter

Looks like the eggs are just starting to hatch as a see several tiny critters floating around. I'm going to wait another day or two before removing the female and adding the salt. The few I managed to scoop out were happily eaten by the betta fry I'll be collecting as many as they can eat before adding the salt. I don't think the baby bettas will take well to salty shrimp larva.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MeisEpic
Replies
Views
sinned4g63
Replies
Views
BibiLee
Replies
Views