Salt Dip For Killing Snail Eggs??? Very Urgent!! Help!! Help

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Finatic005, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Finatic005

Finatic005Valued MemberMember

Will a salt dip kill snail eggs? If so how long and what ratio of salt to water? Please help!!! This is very urgent!

I heard that alum would take 5 hours to kill snail eggs, and I don’t have time for that!

Also I’m only killing eggs not snails.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. DixieFish

DixieFishValued MemberMember

What type of snail do they belong to? It also depends, I think, on what types of plants/fish/etc. that share the tank. But I doubt salt would phase the eggs. Snail eggs are notoriously resilient in my experience (assuming a bladder or ramshorn infestation).

3. Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

I get nerite eggs and I mostly leave them be (they won’t hatch, I only have one snail). When they are too apparent to my taste, I use a toothpick to scrape them off.

4. DixieFish

Nvm, figured it out...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  5. DixieFish

Sorry, having connection issues.

Nerites, ah! Okay! Yeah, salt wont work on those guys. Friend of mine has a similar issue in one of her tanks. She just uses a plastic, thin putty knife like you would use an algea scraper. Otherwise she cleans they tank with vinegar. She keeps loaches and plecos in that tank, but they wont touch the eggs.

6. OP
    OP
    Finatic005

I have ramshorns and will 5% bleach solution kill the eggs?

7. DixieFish

Well, yeah, but it will damage/ kill the plant and any beneficial bacteria n it. If the egg patches are on your tank walls just wipe them out with a clean towel. Ramshorn patches arent hard to remove. They can easily rubbed off plant leaves with your thumb. You have time - those eggs can take up to two weeks to hatch.

Best thing in the world for ramshorn eggs are lymnaea stagnalis (great pond) snails. They love eating rams eggs. But they might reproduce themselves...

My guppies eat hatchlings and my Assassin snail gets the ones they miss. Works for me.
    They really arent too bad in small numbers.

8. OP
    OP
    Finatic005

Thanks! I might look into that other snail? Will they eat their own eggs?