Salt Bath?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by kelsangdol, Dec 25, 2009.

1. k

kelsangdol Valued Member Member

I read in a book that 2 cups=1 tablespoon of salt. Will that work?
    I need to do this for a fungus problem.
    Sorry, I don't have anything for a gallon or more. :(

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not certain what you mean. If your asking is 2 cups of salt the same amount as 1 tablespoon of salt, then the answer is no. 2 cups is probably about 20 tablespoons. If your asking about the ratio of aquarium salt to water to help with body fungus & other things then it is about 1 rounded tablespoon of aquarium salt to every 5gal or 19lts of water. 1 tablespoon is 3 rounded teaspoons.

3. yukoandk

yukoandk Valued Member Member

In general, 0.3% salt concentration is pretty strong and effective in treating minor fungal/bacterial infections and some parasitic infections such as ich. To achieve 0.3% salt concentration, you need 3 tea spoons (or 1 table spoon) to a gallon of water. Measuring salt with a spoon is not an exact math depending on the size of granules, but in most cases close enough. And you will want to raise to this level gradually over a day or two. If you are preparing a salt bath or dip, I'd still start with 0.3% and give a couple dips per day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice