Salt Bath??

TheDukeOfEarl

I'm interested in performing a salt bath for my betta because he has what I suspect to be an inflamed gill. I have been doing daily 50% water changes but have yet to see improvement. Do you think a salt bath is the best course of action? What type of salt; aquarium or Epsom? How do I safely perform one with minimal stress to my fish?

redzhots

I have done the salt baths to 2 different angels with success. my method consisted of 2 different buckets...
Pure Epsom salt is required as the aquarium salt will not benifit your fish in any way.

BUT, before you do this, what else have you tried on him, and has there been any signs of improvement or becoming steadily worse???
if you choose the salt water dip, these were the steps I took before....

the first bucket should be 2 tablespoons of epsom salt per gallon of water you plan on using, and being a betta I would say your not wanting a very big bucket. So, an easier way to put it is one (1) teaspoon per quart of water.

this is a 10-12 minute dip in this bucket, and I would be right there to supervise as you can watch for signs of being overly stressed. Provided that your Betta is handling it well, the next bucket should already be set up and waiting...

the second bucket is half of what you used on the first. In other words, one (1) teaspoon of Epsom salt per two(2) quarts. This is a 4-6 minute dip to help lower the salinity levels withing the betta and have him more prepared for his original tank.

I had an airstone in the first bucket and just moved it to the second bucket along with my fish when I did this.

Temperature is an important factor as well, so please be sure to keep the temps as close to the main tanks temp as possible...

I know its kind of a long reply, but if it helps your betta, I have no problem with it.

this was very helpful to me and in case my mixture levels are off, I would use this method...

TheDukeOfEarl

I have done the salt baths to 2 different angels with success. my method consisted of 2 different buckets...
Pure Epsom salt is required as the aquarium salt will not benifit your fish in any way.

BUT, before you do this, what else have you tried on him, and has there been any signs of improvement or becoming steadily worse???
if you choose the salt water dip, these were the steps I took before....

the first bucket should be 2 tablespoons of epsom salt per gallon of water you plan on using, and being a betta I would say your not wanting a very big bucket. So, an easier way to put it is one (1) teaspoon per quart of water.

this is a 10-12 minute dip in this bucket, and I would be right there to supervise as you can watch for signs of being overly stressed. Provided that your Betta is handling it well, the next bucket should already be set up and waiting...

the second bucket is half of what you used on the first. In other words, one (1) teaspoon of Epsom salt per two(2) quarts. This is a 4-6 minute dip to help lower the salinity levels withing the betta and have him more prepared for his original tank.

I had an airstone in the first bucket and just moved it to the second bucket along with my fish when I did this.

Temperature is an important factor as well, so please be sure to keep the temps as close to the main tanks temp as possible...

I know its kind of a long reply, but if it helps your betta, I have no problem with it.

this was very helpful to me and in case my mixture levels are off, I would use this method...

First of all, thank you so much for your reply. Secondly, I haven't tried anything else except the water changes and it may just be paranoia but I feel the situation is worsening.

I genuinely appreciate you providing such a detailed respond and it is certainly a big help. I will be trying this as soon as I get my hands on some Epsom salt.

Once again thank you so much. And I'm glad to hear your angels responded well

redzhots

not a problem and please let me know or post a reply in here to tell us of the progression on this. I feel the need to help if I can and have found many helpful ppl here thus far.

the epsome salt I found at the local drug store and was relatively cheap, a couple of bucks for a big carton full...and there is smaller ones available as well.
I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery for your betta!

TheDukeOfEarl

not a problem and please let me know or post a reply in here to tell us of the progression on this. I feel the need to help if I can and have found many helpful ppl here thus far.

the epsome salt I found at the local drug store and was relatively cheap, a couple of bucks for a big carton full...and there is smaller ones available as well.
I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery for your betta!

I will definitely post with updates, I really appreciate your help and yes this site has many who are generous and helpful when someone has a problem

I should be able to get some this afternoon which means I can get right into the treatment.

CindiL

Hi, I think you want 1 tablespoon epsom to 1 gallon water

Here is a great detailed link:
Salt Baths

TheDukeOfEarl

Hi, I think you want 1 tablespoon epsom to 1 gallon water

Here is a great detailed link:
Salt Baths

Wow thank you for the link do you suppose I should use a smaller amount as this will be his first salt bath? Or just go straight for the recommended concentration?

CindiL

I think the recommended amount is fine I think its easier at the end instead of having a whole other container setup to just remove half the water and replace it with more plan tank water for 10 minutes or so.

TheDukeOfEarl

Well, I've gone ahead and done it with the recommended amount. He was perfectly fine swimming around and active. Didn't look the slightest bit stressed should I perform this daily? Twice daily? How long will it take to show results if it is in fact an inflamed gill?

CindiL

Do you have a pic of his gill? It depends what the inflammation is from.

Do you see him rubbing on ornaments, substrate or plants? Does he flash at times?

Was he injured or has his gill always been like that?

TheDukeOfEarl

Do you have a pic of his gill? It depends what the inflammation is from.

Do you see him rubbing on ornaments, substrate or plants? Does he flash at times?

Was he injured or has his gill always been like that?

b9b7171caf192e9c3606f92e676d6568.jpg
The picture is him in the bag the day I got him, he has always had it. However the video that was posted of him by the seller showed no lump. So I'm the few days it took for mw to buy him and for him to arrive, the lump appeared. He does try to itch it sometimes but not erratically and not often for what I've seen.
f781231bc98ecad8eba9e122e947ac8c.jpg
That picture was yesterday morning before the salt bath. What do you mean by flash, sorry?

CindiL

I think I would treat with API General Cure and also the epsom baths.

Flashing is when they swim super fast or erratically like they're trying to get something off of them.

TheDukeOfEarl

I think I would treat with API General Cure and also the epsom baths.

Flashing is when they swim super fast or erratically like they're trying to get something off of them.

I will buy some as soon as possible. Does it kill of my nitrifying bacteria? If not, is it safe for inverts? Earl shares his tank with 5 RCS.
And no he isn't flashing at all.

Thank you for all your help, I really do appreciate.

CindiL

No, it is safe for your nitrifyers and also safe for your inverts. Do 8 days worth with a water change after four days.

Make sure to remove carbon if you have any. You can treat your betta with the same medicine. What symptoms is your betta showing?

TheDukeOfEarl

No, it is safe for your nitrifyers and also safe for your inverts. Do 8 days worth with a water change after four days.

Make sure to remove carbon if you have any. You can treat your betta with the same medicine. What symptoms is your betta showing?

Thank you once again! His symptoms are just the occasional scratch on his granite cave ornaments but he isn't aggressively scratching. More like just gently dragging it across, and of course, as earlier stated, the gill is inflamed. Other than that he is eating well, active, alert.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
  • Question
Replies
Views