Salt and pepper pictus or peppered cory?

1. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Went to LFS asked if they had peppered corys she showed me a couple fish that looked like mine which i was told was a peppered cory but she ssid it was a pepper or salt and pepper pictus

Heres my "cory"

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

C.paleatus aka peppered cory, it looks a bit thin could do with feeding up, give them plenty of live or frozen food & a catfish pellet

3. Jake98 Member Member

As stated that is a peppered Cory, Pictus cats are much larger with longer barbels. Honestly the two dont look that similar at all...

4. frogfan Well Known Member Member

i know hes a little thin he never fully recovered from the ich salt/ heat treatment that killed the rest of my nieces fish he gets 3 shrimp pellets twice a day ( idk if he eats them as he hides all day ) and blood worms from a turkey baster twice a week i can bump it up to 3 or 4 days he also has this weird green iridescent look to him on his sides i will look for C.paleatus next time i go there she said there are lots of bottom feeders refereed to as "peppered"

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

The green look is normal !!! Try to fatten it uo indeed.
    Think he is a she btw

6. frogfan Well Known Member Member

How can u tell a male from female?

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The females pelvic fins are more rounded like a fan shape, while the males are pointed, & if you look at the fish from above the females are larger & broader than the males

8. nhaiflich Member Member

Though they are bad pics, here is a pictus cat. As mentioned, they are much bigger with huge barbels. Mine is about 6-7 inches long. Look way different than cories...

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

9. frogfan Well Known Member Member

im pretty sure its fins are pointed the pectoral fins at the 1s they use to swim right? not the 1s before the tail ?

10. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The pelvic fins are the lower set of fins before the anal fin

11. Falcon JJ Member Member

I love the green coloring on the side you are talking about. It only happens if the light hits them just right... looks so nice IMO. Cute fish btw!

12. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Thank you
    he is actually a boy by his fins are pointed at the ends got 1 today that may be a girl couldnt et a good look in the bag tho and hid soon as i droped it in qt