Salt and pepper cories dieing off!

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Tiny goatfish, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfish Well Known Member Member

Hello,
    My salt and pepper Corys are slowly dieing off, I'm not sure why, all the other fish are acting fine. I've recently been having trouble with ALL the other fish except the Corys, first my cherry barbs got fin rot, then everybody got Ich, ( I didn't see any Ich on the Corys but they were flashing) then after the Ich went away, my grandparents went away for a week ( I was gone to) and a heatwave came and killed all my glowlights, and 2 cherry barbs.

Now my Corys are not as active as usual, they mostly sit in a corner together, they are still eating they just sit under a leaf all day. Then one of them will randomly start acting weird and die. Here's how they act, they will suddenly start zooming to the top (I know this is normal Cory behavior) and lay on their backs, if I net them they will sit as close to the surface as possible often with their little noses sticking out. And then they die. The weird behavior will usually start one day and they will die the next.

Here's the tank facts,
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite .25
    Tankmates: 2 male dwarf gouramis ( if they can't get along with each other I'm going to move one), five cherry barbs, around 5 salt and pepper Corys, one baby bristlenose pleco.

Its my 55 gallon, the substrate is sand it hase two pieces of driftwood and some plants. The newest additions were the dwarf gouramis, I added them on Wednesday. The tank is cycled. The temp is 82 degrees.

I really don't want all my Corys to die, please help!
    Thanks,
    Tiny Goatfish

2. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

A few things i noticed:

1) Nitrite levels should be 0, your tank might be going through a mini cycle. I advise changing the water now, and continue doing this every other day or every few days until nitrite reads 0.
    2) Where are your nitrate readings?
    3) 82 is uncomfortably warm for cory's. Most sources I checked said they thrive between 72 F and 78. F.
    4) What substrate are you keeping them on? gravel is not good for cory's and will irritate/damage their barbels
    5) 5 cory's is too little of a number from what understand cory's need a shoal of 6-8 minimum, maybe they're scared and stressed because they don't have enough of each other.

3. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

I agree with everything stated above.

I will add that the behavior sounds like they COULD be having some time of internal parasite. Have you seen any of their feces? If its long, white and stringy like, then thats probably what it is. If it appears normal, then it would be something else.

Fix the nitrite problem, get a test on the nitrates (these can be toxic as well at high levels), reduce the temp to 75-77 slowly throughout the day. I would hold off on getting more until these issues are addressed and you put sand in the tank, if its not already.

4. OP
    OP
    Tiny goatfish

I'm going to do a large water change today and move my tank, I would make sense if I was having a mini cycle, however why aren't the other fish bothered?

I want to get a nitrate test kit but I don't have one right now.

I'll start lowering the temperature to.

I'm pretty sure I said in the original post that I have sand...

I know 5 is to little for the group, i had ten Corys, 5 of them died that's why I only have 5 right now.

Thanks for answering,
    Tiny Goatfish

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

First off, what test kit are you using?

Secondly, did you QT your new fish before adding them?

If you don't QT your new fish, it is possible that they brought something in, imo. I had a case of this recently, where I brought home six cories and started losing fish at a rate of one per day on average, in the end, I lost two of my glofish danios, both of my guppies, and two of the cories. Have the dwarf gouramis been fine throughout this whole time?

6. alink

If you click TinyGoatfish name, it says....

7. BornThisWayBettas

I was just asking in case the profile hadn't been updated recently.........

8. OP
    OP
    Tiny goatfish

I updated my profile yesterday :). My Corys started dieing of long before my dwarf gouramis came. My guess is that I haven't been doing big enough water changes, also i was away for two weeks so that might have caused more to die off, but it started before that, so I just need to buy more BUCKETS so I can do bigger water changes. hopefully that will solve the problem.
    Thanks for all the help
    Tiny Goatfish

9. alink

I will suggest a Python (or Aqueon) water changer. It hooks up to your faucet or garden hose faucet and has a valve switch. Turn it on and it creates suction to pull the water from the tank down the sink (or into your yard) and flip the valve to fill the tank. Should be around $40-60 depending where you get it and which brand. Makes water changes a lot easier!!!

10. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

Sorry, must have missed the sand comment!
    Once you get things figured out you can add a few more corys sorry for your losses :(
    Other fish might not be as sensitive to the nitrite reading especially if they have been in water with nitrite long enough that they grew used to it.

11. OP
    OP
    Tiny goatfish

That would be NICE! I'll see about getting one. :)

Thanks for for all your help! Hopefully now the Corys will stop dieing and I can build up my army again this time with twice the troops!

also don't worry about missing parts of posts I do that all the time!

Thanks again, my Corys are in debt to you guys!

12. BornThisWayBettas

Aw, you're so welcome! :;hug2 Good luck with your cories! :D

13. OP
    OP
    Tiny goatfish

Just to let you guys know.....
    My cories are doing a lot better already, they are swimming actively and looking for food more.
    Thanks for helping me out,
    Tiny Goatfish
    - and Corys

14. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I don't know how I missed this thread but good to hear your corys are doing better now, hope they continue to :)

15. alink

Yes! Glad to hear they are doing better. Keep us updated!

16. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

I'm glad to hear things are going better for you and your cories.

I strongly suggest you pick up a nitrate test - now that my tank is over a year this is the only test I still do regularly. Over 40 is not good for the fish.

17. OP
    OP
    Tiny goatfish

Yeah I'm going to as soon as I have money, I literally have none right now, but as soon as the dog I'm sitting goes back to his owner I will have some.

my Corys are VERY grateful :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice