salt and catfish>? Question

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by scotty b, Jan 9, 2013.

1. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

ive herd adding a bit of salt hear and there can help fish health,. i added salt to my tanks long ago and haven't in quite some time,. what exactly dose it help? ive researched it and im finding half swear by it and half highly discourage its use
    what affect dose it have on catfish ?
    what are your guys/galls opinions on salt?

2. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

NO salt with catfish. Catfish don't have normal scales like other fish, so they're more sensitive to the salt.

I don't even have any of the stuff. Some people think it has its uses, but I think there's more possibility for bad consequences that outweigh possible benefits. Therefore I don't know what dose to use, but I'm sure someone else can help with that :p

3. GordinianWell Known MemberMember

I personally don't think it's necessary. It can cause more harm, in the form of irritation, than good, though I guess that's why it's used in the first place.

4. ButterbeanValued MemberMember

I don't use it at all and to tell you the truth although I have heard a lot of people tell others to add the salt when they are treating Ich with heat but the same people will also say it's not necessary to have salt to cure the Ich that way. I do know it is not just catfish that it's bad for there are other scaleless fish, snails etc.

5. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Info on the use of salt in freshwater aquariums:

Personally, I haven't found salt to be a necessity for freshwater fish keeping.

Ken

6. steve_58Valued MemberMember

I've had aquariums for 40+ yrs and have to say theres many many times i have treated with salt. I have used it on all kinds of fish scaled and scaleless.i believe most people don't realize the power and importance of salt.the level of salt it takes to kill ick for instance is way less than the harmful level to fish.i would'nt use it in a tank with snails and invertabrates but i'm not afraid to use it with any fish.I believe when using salt as treatment then its more like using a med and proper dosage must be considered and used. I also don't dose tank with it on regular basis.
    I must add to that i can remember many yrs ago when a fish got ick a lot of fish keepers would remove fish from tank and try to get rid of it by rubbing or scraping it off the fish. Lol
    Also ibelieve a lot of the fish kept now are much weaker than yrs ago.

7. guster730Valued MemberMember

I've had salt with plecos for no problem for years.. As long as you don't dump the salt on top of them you shouldn't have a problem lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice