55 Gallon Tank Sailfin molly male/female???

FishRule4208

I have a sailfin molly. We got it a few months ago to have a partner for our other female to split the attention given by our male and the fish was female. My male i had at the time attempted to mate her. Then recently its fins began to change, and now it is a male, and it is trying to mate my other female along with my first male. What in the world of aquarium fish is going on here???

jkkgron2

Pics?

FishRule4208

jkkgron2 said:

sorry the quality is not the best, it moves around really fast

FishRule4208

FishRule4208 said:

sorry the quality is not the best, it moves around really fast
Ill get more in a bit
His/her anal gin changed shape from female to male and so did its behavior

jkkgron2

FishRule4208 said:
Ill get more in a bit
His/her anal gin changed shape from female to male and so did its behavior
It looks like he was a slow developing male. Was he young when you got him?

FishRule4208

jkkgron2 said:
He was a y
jkkgron2 said:
he was somewhat young. The store had him/her for 8 months. But what i am confused about is that my other male untill we noticed he looked/acted different is that the male was mating him/her.
He was in the place in the store that was labeled “adult sailfin females”

jkkgron2

FishRule4208 said:
He was a y

he was somewhat young. The store had him/her for 8 months. But what i am confused about is that my other male untill we noticed he looked/acted different is that the male was mating him/her.
He was in the place in the store that was labeled “adult sailfin females”
He must’ve been a late bloomer, otherwise it’s possible his/her tail got torn but that’s less likely. I would get 3 more females to even out the chasing issues.

emeraldking

With fish that become larger in size, may take longer before the actual sex is known. This is a late bloomer. It can take months before you actually know what sex it is...

MomOfLiveBearers

Looks male to me. It isnt uncommon for male mollies to show bisexual behavior. In fact they use it to show off to the female. It could be your older.male is intimidated by the younger one and is attempting to show your female just how "virile" he is. I had the same thing happen in my tank when I introduced a 2nd male that was a sailfin and larger than the first male. My original male chased and "mated" with my new male for the first 2 days.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom