Sailfin Molly Food/adult Size Question

Discussion in 'Molly' started by ericabelle, Apr 21, 2017.

1. ericabelleNew MemberMember

Hello! I've got a male sailfin molly with some white cloud minnows in my Q tank right now, and I've got just a couple questions:
    How large will a male sailfin ultimately grow? (He'll be in a 75 gallon tank after quarantine.)
    AND
    Can I feed him sheets of marine algae as his primary food?
    You see, he'll be in a tank with a dozen long finned danios after I move him; and they are very aggressive eaters! I want him to get enough food, so I was wondering about the sheets of marine algae. I don't THINK the danios will eat that, but they will eat just about anything I guess!
    Thanks for your help!

2. Fish tank

Fish tankValued MemberMember

He can get from 3 to 6 inches and I feed mine alge wafers but if that doesn't work feed him bloodworms

3. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

Do you know what type of sailfin? Most males will get at least 4 inches with some rare species nearly twice that. But they all have on thing in comon: they are aggressive eaters.

Expect him to try and be an alpha dog at feeding and some algea, as well as some periodic veggies like shelled peas, cucumbers and zucchini slices. But they also need high protein flakes or pellets.

I truly doubt you will have a problem... But just watch how he eats.

4. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

Mollies rarely loose out to other fish when it comes to eating.
    What species/ color form is he?

5. OP
    OP
    e

ericabelleNew MemberMember

It looks like he is a creamsicle sailfin molly, and he has a bit of a lyretail, although it's not as exaggerated as the lyretail photos I've seen on the internet. Right now he's around 2.5 inches.
    That's good that they are aggressive eaters - he's definitely a more aggressive eater than the minnows. Once he learns the ropes, I bet he'll be able to hold his own against those crazy danios! I really like his personality -he seems really smart! I can't believe I've never had a molly before, but better late than never.

6. ashenwelt

LOL he will probably just push them out of the way. Mollies are a lot like horses... And male Mollies are very much like a stallion... Always push to be alpha male.

7. Redshark1

Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

This is interesting as I've never kept them either and I've kept lots of the available fish. I think I'll be researching now.

8. OP
    OP
    e

ashenwelt: I've been thinking of getting a couple more males after I add him to the 75 gallon tank. Have you ever kept just a few males before? I have read mixed reviews about it. My husband got a dalmation sailfin molly for his 30 gallon tank, and I can tell his is much more aggressive than mine. Maybe it's a matter of the personalities working out?

Redshark1: Yeah I've just had this one a few days, but he looks outside the tank, kind of like a betta, to see what's going on. That seems really smart. Plus, they eat algae!!! Mine will go into a plated tank, and supposedly they eat algae without bothering the plants.

9. ashenwelt

My rule of thumb is always get at least 3 males when doing live-bearers... its spreads the dominance games around. And just as an FYI... Mollies WILL eat plants. I always went for fast growers like water sprite and anacharis with them. They would rather eat other things... they need lots of protein to be healthy.

Love mollies...

10. OP
    OP
    e

Oh no! Do they eat all kinds of plants or just the fine leaved ones? I have java fern, anubias, crypts, hairgrass, pennywort, to name a few. So not too many fast growing plants.

11. ashenwelt

All depends on the Molly. Just watch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice