Sail Fin Mollies on the way

1. Sonfish Member Member

I ordered two pair of Black Sailfin Mollies yesterday and should get them today,
    I told the guy to make sure they send the blackest black they have,lol we`ll see what comes in, I know the ones I have see alot of times look like mostly black with hints of silver in them, I want mine black black black lol might take some selective breeding but what the heck will be interesting.
    I wanted to get like 4 females or even 6 and 2 males but they only shipped in pairs, oh well I may have to make another tank sooner or later, ^-^

2. Diggly Well Known Member Member

this site is so bad for getting infected with MTS!

I cant wait to see your pics!!

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Please keep us posted when they arrive safely.

Congratulations!

4. Sonfish Member Member

Woohooo :;banaman I got them Wed. and I ended up getting 3 pair,(the LFS gave me the third pair cause I bought the first 2) 2 pair are really black, one of the males looks like hes got some gold or silver in him and is no where neare as black as I wanted, but hes got a huge sail, twice as big as the others, unfrotunately all of them had ich on them but I added a little marine salt to the water and raised the temp to about 82 and it seems to be clearing up, in fact just after 2 days all of them except one of the black males and one female dont show any signs of it. I will continue with the higher temp for a week or so and see if they dont clear up, I hate to start using a bunch of chemicals and having to become a chemistry student to figure out all that stuff lol...
    I would much rather go the more natural route and since they will be in a brackish tank as soon as it finishes cycling the salt will steadily increase to acclimate them and I figure thats gonna help anyway. I`ll post some pics soon as I get the batteries charged on the ole digital camera.

5. Sonfish Member Member

Ok here they are sorry about the fuzzy pics, Imma welder not a photographer lol
    142.jpg

Ypu can see the one thats a cur mollie that has the gold or silver mixed in him, I reckon I`ll put him in a community tank or maybe even trade him off lol

6. Sonfish Member Member

Well one of the females had babies and I managed to save around 18 or so, I couldnt believe they were so ferocious when it came to cannabilism, I mean it was like a shark feeding frenzy but like i say I saved about 18 and they look healthy so far, gonna have to get some froze brine shrimp in the morning and see if I can grow them out..

7. crazedACD Member Member

Congrats Daddy! :D Good job on the babies, would love to see some pictures when they are of photographing size. Very pretty mollies.

8. Regal Well Known Member Member

You said plumber! lol Your pictures are good too.

Your sailfins look great and congrats on the babies. They're so pretty. I never see sail fins in the stores around here.

9. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I love the sailfins. Mine are silver - I haven't seen the blacks before! Beautiful!!! Congrats on the new fry. :)

10. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Congratulations on the fry! Molly fry are so cute! We'd love to see pics if that's possible.

11. Sonfish Member Member

I`ll try to get some pics lol, I think most of them are eating, I called the guy at the LFS and told him to think about child support lol... Looks like a couple more females are gonna bust open so I have to figure out how to make a baby saver lol,
    And Sue Im the plumber, carpenter , roofer, dish washer and truck mechanic and what ever else needs doin lol(Imma welder by trade tho) lol

12. Regal Well Known Member Member

The butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker lol.

I bet if you just leave the babies in with the parents you will have 100s in a few months.

13. Sonfish Member Member

Heres the best I could do for pics,
    218.jpg
    219.jpg

They are all eating and swimming around, I put them in the breeder box to save them till I could get a 10 gallon setup and running for a nursery. They some eatin little rascals lol...
    Ive counted 15 one time one of my daughters counted 11 and my son counted 14 lol, so Imma be safe and say there are an even dozen,
    Sue I think Im gonna have more than I can handle lol, 3 more of the females look like they are gonna bust, I am trying to come up with a larger birthing setup so the moms wont be stressed while they are in there, now Im off to do some water changes , beats changing diapers lol and I wont be passing out cigars lol

14. Sonfish Member Member

If these make it to a decent size I might can send ya a few , looks like Im gonna have way more than I can ever deal with lol....I`ll for sure keep ya posted on how they are doing....

15. Sonfish Member Member

Well they are all still alive and doing well, I started them on some kinda first bites and they started eating it pretty quick, now I drop in a piece or two of blood worms and they nibble on it too, they are also showing interest in a flake food when I drop in in with them, maybe they will make it.....

16. Sonfish Member Member

Had another batch of fry this week and they are everywhere, I moved the males into another tank and added about near a hlaf ton of hornwort and they are thriving, I swear it looks like some of the first batch are already pregnant lol....