Safety & Benefits of Bird food supplement for Aquarium Fish?

DylanM

A large part of my parrots' diets consist of sprouted seeds and legumes that I add a powder supplement to that includes trace minerals and vitamins. I recently went over the ingredients one by one and realized that it shares many similarities with what people add to beef heart to make homemade beef heart mixes for their fish, and wanted to start a discussion on whether or not this particular product is safe, and if so if it is beneficial to add to fish food. The supplement is the "Universal Avian FRESH Addition supplement" from chinaprairie.com.

I'll go over the different ingredients and the benefits I think they might have and the possible dangers, the order of the ingredients is from the largest amount to the lowest amount in the supplement mix:
1) Montmorillonite Clay - base of the supplement, many people use it in ponds and aquaculture or as aquarium substrate and it is said to have beneficial trace minerals that I think would be good for fish
2) Spirulina - everyone agrees this is great for fish
3) Blue-Green Algae - also consensus that this is pretty good to add to fish food
4) Barely Grass - actually used as a base for high-protein fish food, wouldn't matter much mixed in with beefheart though
5) alfalfa leaf - another protein supplement that wouldn't do much considering it is a supplement for beefheart lol
6) capsicum powder - a type of red chili pepper that is good for parrots & I would imagine would enhance red color in fish similar to other chili powders
7) garlic - great for fish
8) ginger - great for fish (and apparently is a preventative for ick? Not sure if there is science to back this up but that's what some on google claim)
9) psillium - a ground root that is the base of many laxatives, as a supplement would likely prevent bloating and would help fish food pass through
10) kelp - I guess it's probably good
11) bifidbacterium bifidum, streptococcus faecium, lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacilus casei - four "probiotics" commonly used in human supplements, and there is some research that some of the probiotics listed here can improve the growth & health of fish:
Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture
12) calcium ascorbate - a calcium source
13) sea salt - here's where I get slightly concerned, it's the second to last ingredient so there's already barely any of it in the mix, and only a tiny amount of the mix would be added as a supplement to food anyways, but adding sea salt instead of kosher salt to aquariums can kill fish and I'm not sure if this is safe even in tiny amounts, I need some feedback on this
14) peanut oil - similar to sea salt this is the last ingredient so almost none of it in the mix, likely just something to make sure the ingredients stay combined, but could it be potentially harmful even in extremely small amounts?

Everything seems great to me except the last two ingredients, and I'd like to start a discussion on the health benefits and safety of this particular mix for fish, because since I already buy it for my parrots it would be great if I could use it in my tanks as well. here's the link to the product if anyone else is interested:
FRESH Addition Universal™

Note: some might notice the message to not add it to drinking water on the page, this is to stop people from adding it to their bird's drinking water and possibly introducing unnecessary contaminants and bacteria to the water, rather it should be mixed in with the food fed to the bird. I don't think it has anything to do with a negative reaction with water.

DylanM

So I looked over some other threads and found out that New Life Spectrum food includes sea salt as an ingredient which means the only thing I'm hesitant about now is the trace amount of peanut oil.

Upvote 0

AvalancheDave

What is your fish food like? It may not really need anything additional.

I usually keep bird and fish stuff separate except for carotenoids.

Upvote 0

DylanM

What is your fish food like? It may not really need anything additional.

I usually keep bird and fish stuff separate except for carotenoids.
The beefheart is just beefheart, I also feed pellets but would like to make the beefheart more nutritious as well

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mermish
Replies
Views
Bruxes and Bubbles
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cinabar