Safestart finally arivved now i have some questions

1. gcdj Initiate Member

Ok to catch everyone up i will be brief:

Had a 10 gallon tank it had been up and running for about 10 months so it had cycled and was doing fine had a filter die so i bought a larger filter ran that on the 10 gallon for about a month... then i decided to get a new tank to matchthe filter so i bought a 30 gallon tank.... i used the decorative rock to the new tank as well as some of the items ( plastic plants ) also the new filter that had been running amonth was used ... initially i had no problems ... perfect water reading .... about 6 weeks ago i decided i wanted black gravel in the tank so i could add somelive plants ... everything as still going fine the filter got dropped during a tank change so i bought a emporer 350 that is where my troubles started .... i placed the old cartridge from the old power filter in front of the new filters ... then i started getting higher and higher ammonia readings i used ammo lock ... well it was suggested that i try tertra safestart because my ammonia reading were reaching 6 ppm .. couldn't find any locally so i ordered it ... while waiting i thought i would try the seachem stability so i did 80% water change got the ammonia lowered ... the next day i did another 70% water change adding stress coat and the seachem ... i continued to follow the instructions ... now 6 days in and still not even a hint of nitrites... the ammonia keeps rising higher and higher SO my safestart came in and i need to know should i remove all the water from the tank when i use it or should i use it with what i have now ... also should i place new cartridge in my poser filter ... i imagine they are loaded with ammonia... i want to get this under control ... i have to figure this out considering today i just bought a 130 gallon tank i am going to set up after xmas (which i will fishless cycle ) any info on what i should do would be helpful ... i was figuring i was going to do a complete water change and rinse the gravel to try and remove the ammonia i can't imagine there is much beneficial bacteria built up ... BTW none of my fish seem to be affected by any of this they seem to be swimming around happy eating well .... it isn't a false reading because i will test my tap water with no ammonia

Thanks for any help:;dk

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Stability contains the wrong kind of bacteria. It dies off quickly, and as you found out, just won't help to cycle your tank.
    Here's a Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart

You'll need to be sure all the stability and ammonia removers or detoxers are out of your tank before using TSS.
    I wouldn't change your cartridge (just rinse it in treated tank water) but change of the carbon.

Hope the Q & A will help answer your questions.

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

at this point, I would do a 50% water change without stability..that will kill the bacteria in your TSS ...a...just use your water conditioner..aquasafe is recommended ..a 50% change should get the ammonia down lower....wait 24 hours and add your TSS ...leave the tank be for 7-10 days....

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Lucy and Shawnie, wait until the other stuff is gone from your tank, then do a large water change. If you use any other water conditioner than tetra's conditioner that is recommended on the TSS bottle, wait a day or two before adding the TSS. Shake the TSS bottle, pour in the whole bottle. Then do nothing for 7-10 days except feed your fish. Do not test your water during this time. Do not change your water or add any other conditioners. If in 7 days your tank is not cycled, wait another 3 and test again.

5. gcdj Initiate Member

ok great i am very excited and i will keep everyone posted on the success (hopefully) of the TSS... if this works well i will be using it on my 130 gallon tank when i set it up .... i can't wait to get my cichlid tank going but that will be for next year !!

6. MizRamzi Well Known Member Member

What's your water source? If your using tap are you treating it with anything before you put it into your tank? IMO~your changing out to much of the water~also you went from a 10-30~It's important that the clorine/clorimines be removed form your replacement water~I suggest Amquel+ added only to your new water and not directly to the tank~specially if you have fish~ I noticed you aquarium states you have fish~are they in your new tank? If you do~do you have anyone who could house your fish until your tank is cycled?
    Your new filter even though it was running in your 10 for 4 weeks may not have accumulated enough beneficial bacteria to sustain 20 extra gallons of new water~basically your tank is going through a new cycle~continue with partial water changes 20-25% 2x weekly.

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

gcdj, mizramzi is recommending amelquel plus. just a word of warning, since you use api test kit, is that the ammonia test is not compatible with amelquel. Just yesterday, there was a thread of someone getting a false reading of ammonia at 8.0 using the amelquel plus and then the api liquid ammonia test. yikes!

if you choose that conditioner, you will need to order online from kordon's website their own powder-based ammonia test. if you want to keep using the ammonia test with the api kit, a better conditioner is seachem's Prime. It also detoxifies ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, and takes care of chlorine, etc.

However, please keep in mind that neither of these products is compatible with TSS. You can either buy Tetra's aquasafe conditioner, as the tSS bottle recommends, and use that, or use Prime and wait a little more than 24 hours before adding the TSS.

Or you can do as I did, and buy both products. I used the Aquasafe when I used TSS. I also use it during routine water changes. However, if I see any ammonia or nitrites, or a bit too much nitrates, I have the Prime on hand.

edit: Oh, I also noticed that mizramzi is recommending that you rehome your fish while your tank cycles. I would not recommend using the TSs if you are going to do this. TSS is intended to be used with fish. Basically, the bottle contains the bacteria you need to cycle your tank. If you don't have the fish to produce the ammonia, then the bacteria dies off. The TSS will keep your fish safe while it is working.

I strongly recommend that you know how to use the TSS properly before you use it. Otherwise, you'll end up doing what I did: I used 4 bottles of it before it finally worked, each time my own fault. It's an expensive product, but for it to work, you really have to follow instructions and then be WILLING TO LEAVE YOUR TANK ALONE while the TSS does its job. When I finally used it correctly, it worked like a charm.

MizRamzi, this is, of course, will all due respect to you. :)

8. gcdj Initiate Member

the reason i was doing 89 and 70 % water changes was because i was getting 8 ppm i use stress coat .... it is not a false reading however because when i would do the water change it will drop to between 2 -3 ppm also when i would do a reading on the water going in to the tank with the api stress coat for chlorine removal and the seachem i would do a test and it would habe a no ammonia reading ..... so once again i am goingto do my water change tonight... oh and trust me with the daily changes i have been doing i am READY to put this in and leave my tank alone for 10 days ...lol

9. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

The back of the TSS says to have no other chemicals in the tank. What I did and seen many others do is put fresh water in the tank, add your water conditioner, and wait at least two days. Some people say four. I did two myself. So after the wait, shake the heck out of the TSS and add it with fish. Wait 7-10 days before testing.

I have a 29g tank and used the big bottle which can do 75g. You can't have too much TSS so the more the better! I did it with six Zebra Danios.

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

totally agree. my 30 gallon didn't cycle until i used the big bottle.

11. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

hope things are going well!!!!!!! keep us informed :)
    tss rocks and as long as you made sure the other chemicals are out (water changes and waiting 24hours ) you should be great to go!