Safest way to transfer when upgrading tank

oodelally

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I was just wondering how you all upgrade your shrimp tanks. I have a 3.5g bow front shrimp tank with a filter that attaches to the rim. I recently got a 5g to upgrade it that I plan to use a sponge filter in.

When I first set up this shrimp tank I took out the cherries from my main tank and many of the adults didn’t survive the first few days. I’ve heard that they can be sentive the parameter changes and that adult shrimp have trouble adjusting to new environments which I think contributed to the die off. I obviously don’t want this happening again so I’m using the same type of sand in the 5g as I did in the 3.5g and a putting everything that is currently in there into the new tank and only adding a new piece of driftwood. I plan on using the same water too.

I could either cycle the new tank with just some sand, the new driftwood, and sponge filter, or try to attach the old filter in there with clips or something, or at the very least stick the cartage and sponge that’s over the intake in there for a bit. Even with it cycled perfectly I’m still worried about how the change will affect the adults.

I’m also worried that the sponge filter has too powerful of vibrations since the one in they are using currently is very low flow and basically doesn’t have any at all. Is this something that can affect them?

CardShark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've switched a couple of my established shrimp tanks into bigger tanks.

What I've done every time is essentially move everything (including all the old water) from the old tank to the new tank, even if I'm eventually going to change it.

Shrimp can stand pretty wide water parameters, they just don't like those changes quickly so to try acclimate them to changes as slowly as possible.

When I switched my 10G to 20G's, I just left the water level at half in the new tank for a couple of days and slowly added new water.

oodelally

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Adding the new water slowly is a great idea!

What did you do about the filter with the water half way, did you just have sponge filter? Did you have any not make it?

CardShark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
oodelally said:
Adding the new water slowly is a great idea!

What did you do about the filter with the water half way, did you just have sponge filter? Did you have any not make it?
The old sponge filter was still covered by water even with the water halfway.

I don't think you have to worry about the flow from your new sponge filter, unless we are talking about some kind of ridiculous suction which is probably impossible from something powered by an air stone.

If I were you, I would run the old and new filters for a bit together.

oodelally

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It’s not the suction but the vibrations of the filter I’m worried about. I would get a smaller air pump but I don’t think there is any.

Unfortunately if I figured out a way to attach the old filter I wouldn’t be able to run it with the water that low. Would just putting it in there be good enough or does it need that water flow?

CardShark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Got it. Putting it in there is better than nothing but won't do much filtering without flow.

The whole point of a biological filter is that it is a place for bacteria to grow.
It needs water flow so it's constantly bringing new "food" (water with ammonia and nitrites) for the bacteria to feed on.

Your best bet is to try to "seed" your new filter with the bacteria from the old one.
That way the bacteria starts growing on the sponges on the new filters.

CardShark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
oodelally said:
It’s not the suction but the vibrations of the filter I’m worried about. I would get a smaller air pump but I don’t think there is any.
I have pretty powerful air pumps on my sponge filters and they don't vibrate so I'm not exactly sure what you're describing.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom