Safest way to move/break down shrimp tank?

Fishnpups

Hey yall

Im upgrading my 5 gallon portrait to a 6 gallon cube for my shrimp. I need to get the old tank broke down plants and all and moved so that the cube can take its place.

Incoming plants will be in on friday so i plan to do it then.

I can easily remove cholla wood, plan on taking the filter and heater of current tank but im thinking of all new water? I had some unwanted hitchhikers on some plants before so i think it would be better to do new water, same filter and add some fritzyme 7? Would that be possible or too risky?

Also, i wanted advice on how to get my baby trumpet snails out. Since they burrow im concerned im going to kill all the babies.

Also, best way to remove the shrimp? Im assuming just remove all plants and hidey holes and scoop? Should i drip acclimate after to ease their stress?

Sorry for all the questions. Usually ill cycle and tank and move but this 6 gallon is replacing the old. Also cant fill the rimless THEN move. So

Included are new and old tank photos.

Ive also already moved my dwarf tears, monte carlo, and my tiger lotus. Im keeping them moist but no heater currently.

Attachments

• 20210127_183013.jpg
    20210127_183013.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210119_094932_085.jpg
    IMG_20210119_094932_085.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 12

ProudPapa

• I'd remove the plants, filter, and decorations from the old tank, put whatever of that in the new tank that you want (especially the filter).
  • Remove half or more of the water from the old tank and put it in the new one.
  • Immediately net the shrimp from the old tank and move them to the new one. That way they're going into the same water, at the same temperature, so there shouldn't be any need to drip acclimate.
Now that I have that out of the way, how many shrimp are in the old tank? If there's a good sized population then there may not be enough biofilm in the new tank to support all of them. There will be some on the filter and plants, but it may not be enough.

Fishnpups

• I'd remove the plants, filter, and decorations from the old tank, put whatever of that in the new tank that you want (especially the filter).
  • Remove half or more of the water from the old tank and put it in the new one.
  • Immediately net the shrimp from the old tank and move them to the new one. That way they're going into the same water, at the same temperature, so there shouldn't be any need to drip acclimate.
Now that I have that out of the way, how many shrimp are in the old tank? If there's a good sized population then there may not be enough biofilm in the new tank to support all of them. There will be some on the filter and plants, but it may not be enough.
Ill be moving the filter, plants, and heater over. But cannot immediately mive over- ill have to put in bucket first. Old tank needs to move to place the new tank in its place (limited spacing)

Theres inly ~10rillis in this tank and i also have a BUNCH of shrimp food, from shrimp baby, shrimp king cimolete, bacter ae, shrimp fit, snowflakes, bee pollen, etc. Ti feed them as allergy regrows as well thanks for the suggestion

As far as moving shrimp- i figured id pull plants. Start a salt dip to get rid if the hoarde of shrimp eggs etc theyve accumulated since i alreadt have a few 100 baby ramshorn, trumpet snails, etc.

Remove the remaining cholla wood, place the shrimp in a acclimation container (the fill and dips(?))

Drain the water column. Move the tanks, refill with existing water and the water difference with my remineralized diffused. Allow the water to heat/ get the filter going in the new tank for a little for bacteria purposes, then add shrimp in?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kanti113
Replies
Views
AquaMan3640
Replies
Views
Mudminnow
Replies
Views