Safest Way To Kill Black Beard Algae?

chadcf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm a little nervous about trying to dose my tank with anything. I recently tried using excel to slow down green hair algae in another tank and found it made my otos very lethargic and one of them died. Scared to do it to the main tank, or to dose with hydrogen peroxide.

At the moment I believe it's only growing on my sword, an anubias and a little bit on the water heater. I can remove the water heater and anubias easy enough and give them a hydrogen peroxide spray and then let them sit a few minutes before putting back into the tank.

The sword though, I imagine is well rooted into the gravel (it's been there 5 months). Should I just go ahead and pull it out and treat it? I thought about just draining the water down to where it's low enough that I can pull the sword leaves out and spray them, but I'm worried about what the residual chemicals will do once I put water back in.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hydrogen peroxide is h2o2 so it breaks down to hydrogen and water. I would try spot treating with a syringe. As long as you dont go over 1ml per gallon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per gallon its safe. I have spot treated for algea at a 50/50 mix for algea as well as treated the tank for fin rot and have never had an issue.

chadcf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I'm just nervous about it, some people I've found searching claim it has killed more sensitive fish. I've got a bunch of relatively new juvenille cardinal tetras and a twig catfish that is sensitive to water quality, plus shrimp in there...

If I do it I'll probably go the drain water and spray the leaves above the waterline method to minimize dosage. Though I'm also tempted to just scrap the plants that have it and buy new ones as it's only two plants so far, but that may just result in the new plants growing it too if it's not eradicated from the tank.

chadcf

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yeah that might be my next move. first I'm trying to let my ramshorn snail infestation go nuts by no longer pruning them out on a daily basis to see if by chance they eat it up (some searching I found claimed that ramshorns will eat it).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom