Safest water changes to bring nitrates down in shrimp tank

LeticiaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello everyone!

My 5.5 gallon red rili shrimp tank has been established since the spring-summer. There are at least 100 shrimp in there....and even more ramshorns.

I change 1/2 gallon of water every week since I know they are sensitive to change in their water parameters.

I just tested their tank since I hadn’t done it since October. API master test kit. 0.5/0/20-40 pH 8.0.
Eek! I am guessing the waste from my multitude of ramshorns is too much ? I rinse the internal filter (I have a modified tetra whisper internal filter going, as well as a sponge filter) in old tank water every week, and it is always filthy. My water changes are done with a turkey baster and there is an incredible amount of waste...snail poop I am guessing.

My question...to get my nitrates lower...I am guessing stick with small water changes, but do them frequently....how frequently? Can I do a 10-15% change once daily until my numbers look better? Twice daily?

My poly-fil in the bottom chamber of the filter (prior to the impeller) was so covered in junk that the water flow had slowed...could this throw of my parameters?

Thank you for your help!

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi leticia there are a few ways to do this one as you said do daily changes as long as the temperature is the same or close to and it's done slowly not to shock them, this can bring it down but maintaining this after is the problem with all the snails and they are breeding as well, I think a thin out of snails is on the cards or things will get worse and shrimp start to die, the other option is to use RO water in the change, just watch for any white line on the carapace this will be a sure sign your doing it to fast

RyanC14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could try adding pothos or another safe house plant to help filter out nitrates as well.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads