Safest Live Food to Avoid Parasites?

AmeliaLowe

Hi,
So 5 or so weeks ago I cured my mum’s Betta fish (Ghengis) of a bout of Camallanus worms (thankfully). I’ve double treated the tank to prevent a reinfestation and so far everything is running smoothly again minus the sacrifice of Stewie the Shrimp. I’ve narrowed down the culprits to a single one. He could’ve possibly had it when we first bought him but we’d had him for a fair few months by then and the change from healthy to sick had been in the space of a week long holiday He had no new plants or inhabitants or anything, but we had got in the habit of giving him live food to enrich his diet. The LFS sells blood worms, brine shrimp, and water fleas as their main live food, but we don’t give him bloodworms as I know they aren’t as healthy, so we gave him a mix of the other two. I still want to give him live food because I want him to be a healthy and thriving Betta rather than one that isn’t enriched, but I really don’t want the danger of worms or other parasites making their way back into the tank because it was a gift for my mum for her bday, and I usually tend to handle the fish related sicknesses better as I have more experience (it’s her first tank). I’m also at university in a different country so it isn’t like I can simply come and look after the fish.
Main issue of the thread: what are the safest live foods for fish that have the lowest risk of transferring diseases, if any? Or does anyone have any alternative solutions that provides entertainment and nutrition for Genghis?

Attachments

• 5AF3A80E-B938-439C-91C6-8D4092FE2B4E.jpeg
    5AF3A80E-B938-439C-91C6-8D4092FE2B4E.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 7

Ghelfaire

I buy frozen live foods, I've never had any issues with blood worms or mysis shrimp.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ForceTen
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Live food
Replies
Views
ShrimpKeeper
  • Question
Replies
Views