Safest/fastest way to remove tannins?

TwoKlobbs

Hey all. I have an established tank and I put in some spider wood. I did boil it for several hours beforehand but after a week the water is pretty dark. Wondering if I can do small daily water changes (10%) without causing any problems. All the parameters are good and ph is normal. I do have some carbon in the filter but it doesn’t seem to change much. Thanks!

StarGirl

If your tank is established water changes wont hurt anything. Do a 50% to tone it down. I have found carbon to not do anything for tannins either.

PAcanis

Carbon and water changes for me. And change the carbon out every few days.
This was on a tank I did NOT know about boiling the wood first and used a potting mix base under a substrate that did not cap well. If I recall I even added another filter.

After a couple weeks I was fine, but I still see a little yellowish tint in the water changing it out now and then. It depends on how many plants have been disturbed.

MacZ

It wouldn't be me if I didn't just say: Leave the tannins in. ;)

Marlene327

Most of us expected you to pop in and say that!
When I first set up my 40 gallon, I bought a beautiful piece of DW. I boiled and boiled that thing for a couple days in my large canner, kept changing the water and doing it again. Put it into the tank and it instantly turned so dark! Did many water changes, would be good for a day and went right back to dark. I hated it, couldn't even see my fish, which was the purpose of having an aquarium! Finally removed it. There are woods I've put into tanks that turned them slightly, or I add catappa leaves and it does it, but not to the point of total darkness! I like a light tannin color, it does seem natural. But some woods out there really leech too much!

StarGirl

Most of us expected you to pop in and say that!
When I first set up my 40 gallon, I bought a beautiful piece of DW. I boiled and boiled that thing for a couple days in my large canner, kept changing the water and doing it again. Put it into the tank and it instantly turned so dark! Did many water changes, would be good for a day and went right back to dark. I hated it, couldn't even see my fish, which was the purpose of having an aquarium! Finally removed it. There are woods I've put into tanks that turned them slightly, or I add catappa leaves and it does it, but not to the point of total darkness! I like a light tannin color, it does seem natural. But some woods out there really leech too much!
I have a piece of Mopani like that. :mad: Sometimes it is too much! Pictures dont make it look as bad as it is either. Everyone is like thats not bad! Yes it is, I want to see my fish not brown water...lol Needless to say its not in my tank. ;)

Dunk2

EMBRACE THE TANNINS! :)

Flyfisha

Hi TwoKlobbs,
Welcome to fishlore,
All of the advice given is correct .
If you are concerned about a slight change in parameters for the fish going from heavily tannin water to clear fresh water then a 10% is going to be extra safe. I think daily 25% would still be ok?
If you are concerned about the bacteria in the tank, don’t be. Almost all the bacteria lives on hard surfaces. I have done multiple 50% water changes with a 4 hour break,.Waiting 24 hours is even safer.

TwoKlobbs

I actually do like the slight tint, but now after a week, it’s TOO dark. I almost need to have the light on all day because without it, it’s hard to see.
Hi TwoKlobbs,
Welcome to fishlore,
All of the advice given is correct .
If you are concerned about a slight change in parameters for the fish going from heavily tannin water to clear fresh water then a 10% is going to be extra safe. I think daily 25% would still be ok?
If you are concerned about the bacteria in the tank, don’t be. Almost all the bacteria lives on hard surfaces. I have done multiple 50% water changes with a 4 hour break,.Waiting 24 hours is even safer.
Thanks! Just wanted to make sure. It’s only a 10 gallon tank so I didn’t want to do anything drastic.

Flyfisha

After a week?

Do you know the water parameters? Many of us change 50% every week, especially in small tanks with more than one fish.

mattgirl

As long as you add your water conditioner if you have chlorine in your water and temp match the fresh water you could change out half the water daily or even twice a day without disrupting your cycle. The bacteria isn't free floating in the water so you aren't removing any with water changes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lynn78too
  • Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
AquaticJ
Replies