Safe way to remove adhesive?

1. Heather12404 Member Member

I just got a new tank and it has tape adhesive on the inside of the tank. How do I safely get it off of the tank? If it was on the outside I would use WD40 and rub it off....but I know I cannot do that for the inside of the tank.
    Suggestions please.

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

How about just a straight edge razor. That is what I use on the inside of my tank.

3. toosie Well Known Member Member

I've used a little bit of rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball. After the tape residue is removed I wipe as much of the alcohol off as I can with a paper towel and then rinse the tank really well.

4. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I'll second the razor blade idea. :;hf

You could also try white vinegar on some paper towel, and wipe away with warm/hot water. I haven't tried this method on a FW setup, but the white vinegar is a natural product, so doesn't cause problems if trace amounts were to enter the water column.

Pure alcohol is also good at removing adhesive residue, and again, the trace amounts will not cause problems.

5. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I would use a solvent (such as isopropyl alcohol, as mentioned) and a straight-edge razor. I was given the task of removing stray bits of tape on walls/counters at my last job, so I've definitely experimented a bit. The straight-edge razor definitely worked the best, and using a solvent loosens the tape up a bit.

6. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I second the rubbing alcohol. Also, nail polish remover dissolves superglue so....yeah, if it gets to that.

7. Heather12404 Member Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! You guys rock!:;rocker

8. Heather12404 Member Member

Thank you so much. The alcohol worked like a charm. I used the alcohol and then after I was done got a wet paper towel and wiped down the inside of the tank really well and then dried it with a cloth. I hope that is sufficient. It didn't take much alcohol at all to get the adhesive off. So I doubt there's much residue left over from the alcohol.
    Once again I couldn't have done this without you guys.
    I love this site!!!!! Such awesome people.

9. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

You're welcome.

Glad we could help :;hf

10. toosie Well Known Member Member

Enjoy the new tank Heather! :happy0034: