Safe Way To Raise Kh?

Biev

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My city water is medium hard (7-9 dGH) but KH is always low (0-3 dKH), which causes pH to fluctuate between 6 and 7.5. I mainly raise American cichlids and other hard water fish/amphibians, so they're not very happy with the low KH and pH swings. I even lost a tank of guppies to a sudden pH crash (-_-)

I've tried a bunch of things. Rocks and seashells haven't made much of a difference. No-sodium marine salt helped a little, but not enough to keep KH at a stable 4+. Sodium bicarbonate is out, since some of my tanks have snails. Potassium carbonate works well for KH, but it raises pH way too much, so ammonia becomes a concern. Calcium carbonate wouldn't raise pH the same way, and would certainly be appreciated by the calcium-deficient snails, but I'm hesitant to try it since it's not very soluble in water. I'm kind of sick of wasting money on solutions that don't work!

Does anyone have success stories to share? Any obvious solution I might have missed?

Biev

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is a large scale fishroom and my employer won't let me use RO for the moment. I'm praying we'll switch to an RO system once we move into our new facilities next year... That would certainly make my life a lot easier. In the meantime, should I try alkaline buffer + acid buffer to keep my reservoir water at a stable KH and pH?

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
This is a large scale fishroom and my employer won't let me use RO for the moment. I'm praying we'll switch to an RO system once we move into our new facilities next year... That would certainly make my life a lot easier. In the meantime, should I try alkaline buffer + acid buffer to keep my reservoir water at a stable KH and pH?
Yeah try that out, that should work.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom