safe water change frequency

michael0918
is it safe to do a partial water change everyday? My brother decided to have his own aquarium. It's a 15 gallon tank. There's 5 tiger barbs and 5 female bettas in the tank. It's not cycled yet. I'm trying to help him by doing water change everyday coz we don't have water test kit. It's not commercially available in our area.

bankruptjojo
yes it is safe to do 15-20% water changes a day.

first off tiger barbs need a 48in tank. so you really need to take them back.

most people will tell you that 5 female bettas shouldnt go in a 15g. I will say its not impossible but you have to keep a close eye out for excessive aggression. if you just bought the fish you still have a chance to take them back now. if you wait to long they won't give you your money back. so if I were you I would take all the fish back and properly cycle the tank. cycling a tank with fish usually ends up with at least a few deaths.

if you want a female betta get one and some corys and tetras. 5 bettas will more than likely end up killing each other in a 15 gallon but its up to you just be careful. lots of plants and hiding spots.

if you can't take all the fish back daily water changes with prime will help. do you have a API test kit? if not get one.

Cichlidnut
If the tank isn't cycled, you'll want to do 50% water changes a day.

There is a very good chance your tiger barbs will kill the bettas. You're pretty over crowded.

Fish that might work well in that size of tank are Neon Tetras or Guppies. I do not agree with Bunkruptjojo on the corys, they usually need a tank twice that size.

saqib
Its absolutely fine to do daily water changes, not only that but its highly recommended given you have an uncycled tank.
Cories may work but you have to keep the environment pristine, I wouldn't do it myself but my neighbor has 6 cories house with 1 male betta since the last 4 years in a 15 gallon without any problems.

bankruptjojo
I keep my emeralds in a 40 gallon they get pretty big. isn't there a smaller cory that could live in a 15g? panda corys? plants and sand would help. bigger is deff better.

Cichlidnut
There are pygmy corys that can live in smaller tanks. They are not as common as the other species though. I've got my corys in a 55, they use All the space!

michael0918
oh ok thanks

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kylo ren
Replies
Views
BenV.
Replies
Views
GabeLeo