Safe To Take Media From One Filter To Another Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by bryn503, Jul 20, 2017.

1. bryn503New MemberMember

Hi everyone,

I've got a new 36 gallon bowfront tank that I just filled and started fishless cycling yesterday, but I have a 10 gallon planted tank that I set up a little while back that I had put some neon tetras in a couple weeks ago. I got the tetras from Petsmart, but unfortunately one of them had a disease (I think it was neon tetra disease based on the symptoms, the water parameters were perfect) that spread to bunch of the other fish, and there are currently only 3 tetras left (I know they like schools of 6 or more, but I was waiting until I was sure that they would survive before thinking about adding more back in).

My question is, considering it has been almost 2 weeks since the last tetra died, can I assume that the 10 gallon tank is "healthy"? I have some pot scrubbies in the filter of the 10 gallon that I could move into the filter on the 36 to help speed up the cycle, but I don't want to do it unless I feel confident that it wouldn't spread anything into the new tank, so I am looking for some opinions.

Thanks!

2. Samuel97

Samuel97Well Known MemberMember

Some may say tis fine due to the break period, and of course normally pre-primed media is great, but i would personally swerve it in this instance to prevent disease negatively affecting the new tank, much like you would always separate a quarantine system.

3. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

I would recommend against it, as the bacteria (disease) would have infected the filter media as well.

4. bopsalot

bopsalotWell Known MemberMember

I agree. 2 weeks is not long enough to ensure that the filter media is safe from contagion.

5. OP
    OP
    b

bryn503New MemberMember

Fair enough. Since, in my experience, a fishlish cycle usually takes around a month, how long would you say is long enough to feel that the tank is free of disease? I ask just in case the cycle is still going when that time comes around so I might still speed it up, if possible.

Thanks everyone!

6. Samuel97

Samuel97Well Known MemberMember

I would personally just treat the fish tank as a brand new cycle and forget the other media unfortunately

7. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

Unless you treat the tank with medicine, which is not an options since you don't know what the disease is, the bacteria will remain. So to echo @Samuel97 treat the new tank as a new cycle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice