Safe Temperature Range For Danios

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am keeping my 5 *very small* zebra danios in a 2.5 gallon tank with adequate filtration (~40 gallons per hour) with gravel and filter taken from a nearly cycled tank. My question does not have to do with stocking but with heating. I bought a heater which says it is for 3-5 gallon aquariums. According to the package the heater was preset to 78°F (26°C) but the actual setting seems to be around 30°C. Is it safe to keep zebra danios at this temperature? My air conditioner comes on and off during the day, and sometimes I push the thermostat up or down a notch, and I don't want the temp. fluctuations causing the fish to stress out or die, so I would like to keep the heater in if possible.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes 30 is to high! Zebras like the water on the cooler side, like 22 Celsius. The heat is not your main concern though, cuz 2.5 gallons is way too small even for small ones. Even if they are small enough they will need a bigger tank in like a month. Also calico fantail needs a much bigger tank than 2.5 gallons. I hope the goldfish and danios are not in the same tank, cuz that is way too many no matter what size and goldfish can't be in that temp!
Sorry for going beyond your question, but I am looking out for the fish and your sakes.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NMfishman said:
Yes 30 is to high! Zebras like the water on the cooler side, like 22 Celsius. The heat is not your main concern though, cuz 2.5 gallons is way too small even for small ones. Even if they are small enough they will need a bigger tank in like a month. Also calico fantail needs a much bigger tank than 2.5 gallons. I hope the goldfish and danios are not in the same tank, cuz that is way too many no matter what size and goldfish can't be in that temp!
Sorry for going beyond your question, but I am looking out for the fish and your sakes.
The goldfish moved out a long time ago, so no need to worry about him. He is flippering about in his 10 gallon tank. Trust me, he's small enough to fit in a 5.

I intend to move the z danios to a 5 gallon tank once I get it prepared. The problem is that tank is in the kitchen where oils and stuff get into the air and fall into the fish water, and the 2.5 gallon is just light enough to not crack the glass on my desk! I think 5 gallon tanks weigh about 50 lbs and that plus the weight of my elbows (I'm a leaner) might be enough to put me in the hospital and my fish down the toilet or in evidence bags once the emergency responders arrive.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My danios live in a tropical community (these ones have always been in warm water) and I usually keep the water at about 75F (24C). At the moment I am treating for ICH (1 fish looked like he had a spot so I am being safe rather than sorry) and this involves the temp at 86F for 2 weks. They have survived this before, but remember that the temporary heat is the lesser of either having the heat or the ICH.

They are very active and mines are in a 15 Gal, I couldn't keep them in anything smaller haha! They were temporarily moved to a 10 Gal out of necessity a couple months back, and I felt so sorry for them being restricted in there.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kreuztraeger said:
The goldfish moved out a long time ago, so no need to worry about him. He is flippering about in his 10 gallon tank. Trust me, he's small enough to fit in a 5.

I intend to move the z danios to a 5 gallon tank once I get it prepared. The problem is that tank is in the kitchen where oils and stuff get into the air and fall into the fish water, and the 2.5 gallon is just light enough to not crack the glass on my desk! I think 5 gallon tanks weigh about 50 lbs and that plus the weight of my elbows (I'm a leaner) might be enough to put me in the hospital and my fish down the toilet or in evidence bags once the emergency responders arrive.
The 10 gallon is really not big enough for the goldfish either, you will need about 20 gal. for one and 29 for two. For now I would put that goldfish into the 20 gal with your other. Then that would free up that tank for the zebras, I guess. The zebras will need at least a 10 gal. and as you know the kitchen is NOT a good place for a tank, cuz of all those things that will get into it. You should really get a 10 gal for the zebras, if you need a stand remember most furniture will hold it. A good test to see if the furniture will hold the tank is to just sit on it , and if it holds you it will hold the tank.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NMfishman said:
The 10 gallon is really not big enough for the goldfish either, you will need about 20 gal. for one and 29 for two. For now I would put that goldfish into the 20 gal with your other. Then that would free up that tank for the zebras, I guess. The zebras will need at least a 10 gal. and as you know the kitchen is NOT a good place for a tank, cuz of all those things that will get into it. You should really get a 10 gal for the zebras, if you need a stand remember most furniture will hold it. A good test to see if the furniture will hold the tank is to just sit on it , and if it holds you it will hold the tank.
I have what I have.

I already discussed the goldfish in the 20 gallon and the 10 gallon tanks in previous threads. Both are appropriate to the size of each fish (slow-swimming fancy goldfish) and the amount of waste they produce. Put together one would get bullied by the other and I wouldn't be able to control how much either of them ate.

The 5 gallon tank is planted with good filtration, it has a hood and I'm going to rig some sort of barrier over the open spot where the air line for the filter and the wire for the heater come out of the aquarium.

Update: The zebra danios are now in the 5 gallon tank with everything set up. The 2.5 gallon tank is now home to my male betta fish.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The 2.5 gallon is way too small for the betta, at the very least a 5 gallon but I would highly recommend a 10 (yes I know the inch per gal. rule says its okay, but it is not and the inch per gal rule or any rule for that matter should only be used as a guideline). Also is the water temp in the tank still 30 Celsius, cuz that is way too high for the betta.
The 5 gal is still too small for the zebras and even if it is well filtered they still need swimming room! If you seal the tank off well enough that stuff from the kitchen will not be able to get in it, than there will not be proper oxygen exchange. The air pump primarily gets oxygen in the tank by agitating the surface, thus letting more oxygen enter, if you seal the top up it won't make a difference. The tank really can't stay in the kitchen!
Why do you keep the fish if you can't provide the proper space for them?! Wait until you can get larger tanks for them! Why do you even bother posting on here if you don't take the advice given to you?! Everyone on here are only trying to look out for the fish and help you be able to properly provide for them, Please take our advice.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just making sure ... we are talking about fish here, right? Not children. Instead of a two story house, they'll have a one story. Some people are hardly willing to give these fish a portojohn.

Taking a fish back to Walmart is a death sentence because they consider any sold fish to be damaged or contaminated goods. They are out to prevent loss, not look after the fish.

Returning to the original thread topic ... the heater seems to be doing a much better job in the 5 gallon than it was in the 2.5 gallon tank. The temperature is about 27°.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
in my experience a preset heater like the one you have will generally just push the temp up a few degrees from room temperature and doesn't really do a good job of keeping a steady temperature if the air temperature is not steady. Also keep in mind water will change temperature at a much slower rate than your air, as long as you don't change your thermostat much more than 5 degrees at night I think the temperature should be fine without a heater at the moment. Basically what I am saying is that the temperature of the tank will probably swing a small amount with or without the heater so I think it would be better to take the heater out to give the danios cooler water. I do however agree that 5 danios need a bunch of room to swim, for now they can survive in a 5 gallon tank provided they get excellent water conditions, but I do not think this is an appropriate permanent home.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@NMfishman - Your 10 gallon tank is also "too small" for 9 tetras and 40+ shrimp, but I assume you appreciate the setup and that your fish are probably healthy, right? After all you probably spend a lot of time working on it, maintaining it. Please don't level these accusations of fish abuse - at anyone!

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes we are talking about fish, not children; however, they are still living creatures and like children depend on you to give them proper care. It would hardly be a one story house, but more like a closet for them. Do you doubt what everyone says about the sizes of tanks these fish need, and I mean everyone including other websites?
That is good the heater is working properly in the 5, but what about the 2.5gal for the betta, is it being heated? 80 is ideal for the betta and I hope that you are still filtering it!
Again, why keep them if you don't properly care for them? Would you have children if you can't take care of them?
All of us here are trying to give you advice to properly provide for your fish and to help you enjoy this hobby more, not to be mean or anything! We care about the welfare of all the fish and that is why we give our time on here. We just want what is best for the fish.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bass master said:
in my experience a preset heater like the one you have will generally just push the temp up a few degrees from room temperature and doesn't really do a good job of keeping a steady temperature if the air temperature is not steady. Also keep in mind water will change temperature at a much slower rate than your air, as long as you don't change your thermostat much more than 5 degrees at night I think the temperature should be fine without a heater at the moment. Basically what I am saying is that the temperature of the tank will probably swing a small amount with or without the heater so I think it would be better to take the heater out to give the danios cooler water. I do however agree that 5 danios need a bunch of room to swim, for now they can survive in a 5 gallon tank provided they get excellent water conditions, but I do not think this is an appropriate permanent home.
The specific heater I bought has a thermostat so it should maintain a steady temperature - if anything cooling the air around it would probably cause the temperature inside to rise a degree. Hate to say this but technically the 5 gallon tank is still in the process of cycling, albeit at the tail end where the nitrates are dominating the test strip results. I've been monitoring the nitrites very closely and performed several water changes to keep them down. I might do another water change tomorrow just for good measure.

I agree. I don't want to keep them in the 5 gallon tank forever. When my baby calico fantail goldfish outgrows his 10 gallon tank I'll probably put the zebras in that one.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kreuztraeger said:
@NMfishman - Your 10 gallon tank is also "too small" for 9 tetras and 40+ shrimp, but I assume you appreciate the setup and that your fish are probably healthy, right? After all you probably spend a lot of time working on it, maintaining it. Please don't level these accusations of fish abuse - at anyone!
Yes, I can tell that you are a great judge of overstocking a tank! These fish have been living in there for over two years now, they are the original fish in it and have been fine. I have that costume filter on their which is more than adequate for a 55 gallon tank, it is also well planted. The shrimp put little to no bioload on the tank!

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NMfishman said:
Yes we are talking about fish, not children; however, they are still living creatures and like children depend on you to give them proper care. It would hardly be a one story house, but more like a closet for them. Do you doubt what everyone says about the sizes of tanks these fish need, and I mean everyone including other websites?
That is good the heater is working properly in the 5, but what about the 2.5gal for the betta, is it being heated? 80 is ideal for the betta and I hope that you are still filtering it!
Again, why keep them if you don't properly care for them? Would you have children if you can't take care of them?
All of us here are trying to give you advice to properly provide for your fish and to help you enjoy this hobby more, not to be mean or anything! We care about the welfare of all the fish and that is why we give our time on here. We just want what is best for the fish.
80 for a betta? Never mind ... no one puts a betta an 80 gallon tank! Those are for goldfish!

But responding to your question about having a heater for the betta tank: I don't have one on there right now, but normally I keep my apartment thermostat set between 74-78°F.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No sorry for being unclear, I meant the temp needs to be 80 degrees. You need to get a heater, cuz the temp fluctuations will cause stress and any nitrite/ammonia build up due to the small tank will really compound the stress.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NMfishman said:
Yes, I can tell that you are a great judge of overstocking a tank! These fish have been living in there for over two years now, they are the original fish in it and have been fine. I have that costume filter on their which is more than adequate for a 55 gallon tank, it is also well planted. The shrimp put little to no bioload on the tank!
I never questioned the health or the well being of your fish. I just assumed you knew what you were doing.

I've seen tetra recommendations of 40+ gallons, but like you I have kept tetras in a 10 gallon and I know they can be kept healthy like that.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lets calm down, no need bashing each others ways of fish keeping, I believe NMfishman was referring to keeping the temperature at 80 degrees. If the apartment stays between 74-78 I don't see much of a need for a heater with the danios as they prefer temps at or below that range. Fluctuating temperatures in your aparment of 4 degrees will probably not affect a decent sized tank more than a degree or two because water has such a high specific heat (it takes a lot of energy to change the temperature). When I was talking about the heater, I was saying that in my experience most non adjustable heaters do not adhere well to the "preset thermostat", they usually just end up pushing the temperature up a few degrees from room temp rather than keeping a steady temperature independent from room temp.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NMfishman said:
No sorry for being unclear, I meant the temp needs to be 80 degrees. You need to get a heater, cuz the temp fluctuations will cause stress and any nitrite/ammonia build up due to the small tank will really compound the stress.
Oh! Sorry about that. I'll get a heater for it.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bass master said:
When I was talking about the heater, I was saying that in my experience most non adjustable heaters do not adhere well to the "preset thermostat", they usually just end up pushing the temperature up a few degrees from room temp rather than keeping a steady temperature independent from room temp.
I monitored the heater in question with a thermometer and it seems to keep a steady temperature. It better, after I paid nearly $25.00 for it.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
bass master said:
lets calm down, no need bashing each others ways of fish keeping, I believe NMfishman was referring to keeping the temperature at 80 degrees. If the apartment stays between 74-78 I don't see much of a need for a heater with the danios as they prefer temps at or below that range. Fluctuating temperatures in your aparment of 4 degrees will probably not affect a decent sized tank more than a degree or two because water has such a high specific heat (it takes a lot of energy to change the temperature). When I was talking about the heater, I was saying that in my experience most non adjustable heaters do not adhere well to the "preset thermostat", they usually just end up pushing the temperature up a few degrees from room temp rather than keeping a steady temperature independent from room temp.
No, I want To fight!!! Just kidding! ;D
Yes, I did mean temp. not gallons

kreuztraeger said:
Oh! Sorry about that. I'll get a heater for it.
Yeah, though it would be cool to see a betta in a 80 gal, I don't think it is necessary! Good Glad to hear it about the heater.
Good luck with your tanks!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads