safe paints for ornaments???

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i would like to seal a turtle shell i found, (yes i found it, all ready vacant), so i can submerge it in my tank. i was wondering what a good safe clear coat for it would be?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not sure there is a coating that is aquarium safe. I would definitely boil the turtle shell before putting it in the tank.
carol

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks for the boiling idea, but the scales will probably fall off if i do that, see i want to keep the color of the shell and keep the scales in tact. there has to be something out there...

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do you think maybe aquarium silicone would seal it? I'm not sure how you would put a thin coat on though.

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is there any kind of paint available that U can touch up ornaments with??????I have a couple of decorations that I would love to do that too......instead of tossing them oput(only because I really like them)

ilikefish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could epoxy the whole thing and then let it soak for 48 hours... that's probably the only way (that i know of anyway)

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Polyurethane Marine Varnish should do the trick for you. I've used it on aquarium stuff many times & never had a problem. It's no good in a tank that contains Plecos or other fish that might scrape it off & ingest it though. Once digested it is quite toxic to the fish.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads