safe paints for ornaments???

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by jwokmuba2, Apr 3, 2010.

1. jwokmuba2

jwokmuba2 Well Known Member Member

i would like to seal a turtle shell i found, (yes i found it, all ready vacant), so i can submerge it in my tank. i was wondering what a good safe clear coat for it would be?

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I'm not sure there is a coating that is aquarium safe. I would definitely boil the turtle shell before putting it in the tank.
    carol

3. OP
    OP
    jwokmuba2

jwokmuba2 Well Known Member Member

thanks for the boiling idea, but the scales will probably fall off if i do that, see i want to keep the color of the shell and keep the scales in tact. there has to be something out there...

4. JustinF

JustinF Valued Member Member

Do you think maybe aquarium silicone would seal it? I'm not sure how you would put a thin coat on though.

5. l

lorabell Well Known Member Member

Is there any kind of paint available that U can touch up ornaments with??????I have a couple of decorations that I would love to do that too......instead of tossing them oput(only because I really like them)

6. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

You could epoxy the whole thing and then let it soak for 48 hours... thats probably the only way (that i know of anyway)

7. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Polyurethane Marine Varnish should do the trick for you. I've used it on aquarium stuff many times & never had a problem. It's no good in a tank that contains Plecos or other fish that might scrape it off & ingest it though. Once digested it is quite toxic to the fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice