Safe Levels Of Chlorine / Chloramines (if Any) ...

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Swampgorilla, Apr 20, 2018.

1. SwampgorillaValued MemberMember

I have been trying to eliminate my tanks of all chemicals - and I have. I don't use any chemicals anymore EXCEPT for API Tap Water Treatment to remove Chlorine / Chloramines. So I've been trying to figure out a way to eliminate that too.

If there is only chlorine in my tap water - then simply aging the water overnight will evaporate that away. But if chloramines are also used - then that becomes a bit too difficult, and not something I'd want to deal with because it takes DAYS for them to evaporate.

Do I have chlorine, chloramines, or both? I don't have my most recent water report - so I had to figure it out. This is what I did.

I got a HANNA TOTAL CHLORINE TESTER and tested my water ...

1. Straight out of the tap = 0.25 ppm total chlorine

2. Tap water treated with API tap water treatment = 0.00 ppm total chlorine

3 Tap water aged 24 hours (not treated with API) = 0.08 ppm total chlorine

So I'm assuming that, of the .25 ppm of total chlorine in my tap - .08 of it is actually chloramines. A lot of municipalities use BOTH chlorine and chloramines - so this jibes.

But ... there's still .08 chloramines even if I age the water. How safe is this level (in general) for fish?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  2. PictusbossValued MemberMember

I would just waiy a day or two for it to age or treat again. Honestly, you want to keep them as low as possible. I am not sure of the specific number when the levels are considered safe, just that 0 is best.

3. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

I would go by the no safe level and use a good dechlorinator.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice