Safe Hide Cave For Fish Tank?

1. Sakti Initiate Member

I need a hide for my lobsters and could not find anything suitable in the aquarium section but found this in the reptile section. It would be in my community fish tank. Has anyone tried reptile hides; are they safe for fish? I can't find any info and the guy at Petco had no idea. It doesn't have what it is made of, only that it is made in China.
    20031891_1775951995752643_8609626648499687660_n.jpg

2. James17 Well Known Member Member

I'd be concerned about the paint flaking off since it's not intended for fish tanks, but who knows.

3. vin Well Known Member Member

If it is safe for aquariums it will say so. Especially reputable brands like Imaginarium and ZooMed. I wouldn't take the chance. The Petcos near me typically have all kids of aquarium decor - flat shale, mopani wood, caves, lava rock, etc. They're usually next to the substrates.

4. Fishpuns Member Member

I'd like a more definitive answer to this too. I have a stone hermit crab bowl from the reptile section that I was told was fine, and so far it is. But I was also told by an employee at my lfs once to avoid reptile props because they are often coated with finishes or paints that aren't good for tanks.

5. Sakti Initiate Member

Darn...This was perfect too. They had some hollow log deco there today but the openings were too tight. My Lobsters have climbed up inside of the big center driftwood piece in the middle of my tank and its not made for that. I have it tilted a little bit back because it looks better like that, but that left the opening on the bottom of it exposed. So they thought it was a coo cave. I'm afraid they are going to get stuck.

6. queeqyo Initiate Member

Just as a side note, I've found most lobsters love those half coconut shells (sometimes covered in moss) you can find at most pet stores :)

7. James17 Well Known Member Member

When I had them I just piled rocks up to make a cave.
    I also keep cichlid stones, they are ceramic caves that I like very much when they get filthy I run them through the dishwasher, but they are a little pricey.

8. vin Well Known Member Member

Maybe consider using a 3" diameter clay flower pot turned on its side. They're about 4" deep. Perfectly fine for aquarium use and cheap. You should be able to pick one up at the local garden center for less than $3. I've had one in my tank for years. What I like about it is you can bury it as deep or as shallow as you want simply by moving your substrate around.

9. Sakti Initiate Member

I am taking it back and not chancing it. I bought some flat rock and made what I thought was really nice hideaways but I think they like the being in darkness cave experience. Maybe they are molting...I'll pick up a couple clay flower pots :)

Thanks everyone! :)

10. GibbyMcGibz Member Member

Good choice on bringing it back. I used to be into reptiles and in my leopard gecko tank I had a hide like this. After a year or two the covering started to flake off, and that's without water.

11. purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

for DIY hide-aways, I added some broken clay plant pots pieces or invert the entire pot itself (that is not broken). also made some PVC tubes that are zip-tied together in a pyramid formation (3 pvc tubs on bottom, then 2 then 1 pvc tube at top). The PVC tube will depend on the size of the lobster but if there are smaller animals, they will also use smaller ones.