Safe for Fish Tanks? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by AlexAlex, Dec 1, 2012.

1. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

The below product (because of price, softness and how white it is) really sparks my interest in purchasing. Is it safe?

http://www.amazon.com/School-Smart-Box-White-Sand/dp/B003U6QLVS/ref=lh_ni_t

I have read that this can have odd-shaped grains and be pointy. Not sure how factual that is, though.

Thanks in advance.

Alex :)

P.S. I'm not concerned with the softness or grain size. I just want to know if it's safe as far as ingredients and material wise.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I would pass it might be to light and flow in the tank.

3. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I agree with JessiNoel, it looks so fine that a fish swimming by could kick it up. I would imagine alot would end up in the filter.

4. OP
    OP
    A

My question is for safety purposes. I'm not worried about the lightness or softness as I have used this grain size before, but just not in this brand or kind (play sand, etc).

5. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I have heard play sand is fine but can be a pain to clean prior to use.

6. OP
    OP
    A

I know that play sand in general is usually okay to use, but this kind in particular is my specific curiosity that is still in question on the use of it in aquariums.

7. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

It says 100 % non toxic which is a good thing I would try it ;). I just would not use it cuz it is too lite and my fish would kick it up to much.

8. OP
    OP
    A

I decided to just go with the Black Diamond again. All my tanks will be black sand now. I was trying for something different, but meh - Black it is.

9. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

That super fine playsand is difficult to rinse clean anyway, plus it leads to compaction issues.

Look around for an industrial or pool supply place. We have one here that supplies the contractors who do pools and they have a huge list of colored sands in a few different grades. It's used to make the area non slip.

3m colorquartz or estes should be available if you can find who distributes it. It's a ceramic coated sand. My supplier charges about $25 for a 50lb bag, possibly cheaper in bulk.

10. OP
    OP
    A

I decided on what I have in my 75 Gallon, which is the Black Diamond Sandblasting Sand. I love it in the 75, but I was initially looking for a true white sand. The Black Diamond is way better than the other Black Sands I have seen anywhere.

On top of that, the Neons will be glowing in the tank with the Black. Thanks anyways, Jeta.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice