Safe food for shrimp and snails?

Nammibaun

Hi,
I have 2 betta fish living with MTS and I'm in the process of setting up my first high-tech planted tank I'd like to stock with guppies and cherry shrimp. However, I don't know what food would be safe for shrimp and snails.

When I just started in the hobby I had several large rabbit snails die from copper poisoning from a generic betta fish food. Because of this incident I've been very careful with ingredients in my fish food. However, my betta fish really don't like the food I've been feeding them for awhile now. They are extremely picky but it's one of the few available copper-free foods they will tolerate. I've tried several different types of food and they often spit it out and won't eat till they are desperate.

I've seen people say that copper is necessary even for shrimp but I also know that copper sulfate is deadly to invertebrates. I don't want to keep anything important from their diets but I'm also scared of killing any more invertebrates.

So, any information as well as suggestions for what shrimp/snail safe foods I should look into getting would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Feohw

To be honest, I doubt it was the copper in the food that killed the snails. Its only a trace amount of copper that you will find in fish foods, there doesn't tend to be enough to kill inverts. Was there an excessive amount of copper in this food for some reason?

Copper sulfate in foods won't kill shrimp, as again, there are only trace amounts in it. I would get shrimp pellets (doesn't matter if there's copper), bacter ae and I would also feed veggies. Note that even veggies have some copper in them. Some people don't feed their shrimp very much or very often. I don't stick to a schedule, I'll feed them a little bit every two days, sometimes everyday.

Copper sulfate is deadly for inverts when there is enough of it. Such as in some medications. Elemental copper is the stuff that will really mess them up.

mimo91088

My tanks are full of snails. I feed omega one mostly, but also hikarI crab cuisine for the calcium.

TetraKing101

My tanks are full of snails. I feed omega one mostly, but also hikarI crab cuisine for the calcium.

I second this I feed my snail crab cuisine and there shells are awesome

brondo

I make and feed snello to all my shrimp and snails. They love it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Convictkim
  • Question
Replies
Views
Danny002
  • Question
  • ZeldaNerd
  • Snails