Safe Decor? Question

1. djadv111 Initiate Member

Hey Guys,

So I'm kinda new to this site and i have gotta say it's the best one i've found.

any ways recently have added a "rope fish" and hes finaly out of his stay in Quarantine, he was very cool and active in the Quarantine tank but now that he has tank mates hes a lot more shy, and i did read and understand this would happen, i just feel bad because theres not a lot of room for him to hide because hes so long. i do have rocks that make caves and "logs".

anyways my question is there any thing i can use for shelter for him to hide in?
    i have visited the pet store and i havent been able to find anything that i could use. maybe pvc pipe ? wanted to ask because i don't want to add anything that might poison the fish

Brandon:;thx

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

You can use PVC. Or, you could use a hamster tube, and that way you could see your ropefish while it's hiding, but the ropefish still feels secure. I've seen this done a lot for knife fish.

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome again to fishlore!!!!
    the hampster tubes are great..and you can use aquarium silicone to attach some big rocks or even gravel subtrate to it so its not totally see through..then he can feel safe and you can see him still :)

4. djadv111 Initiate Member

And they don't mind the see thru?

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

knife fish dont, never had rope fish so not sure..the only thing i do know about rope fish is they are SUPER GREAT escape artists..so make sure EVERY hole is covered in the top of your tank ;) ..and if they do mind being seen, you can always silicone some things to it so they feel more safe....but pvc piping is great also..you just wont be able to see through it to enjoy him

6. djadv111 Initiate Member

Thanks so much for the thoughts i think ill do the hampster tube idea i would like to be able to see him
    as for the tank its very well sealed because we have a fiddler crab and learned the hard way about them Beaing escape artists i provide a basking platform and one crawled from that to the filter then figured he was going back to nature and got lost in our room and spent too much time out of water