Safe Cichlid For Planted Tank?

1. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Hi
    I need some help deciding but I'm planning a Planted 75g Tank and my planning stock is so far
    1 Albino Bn Pleco
    12 Praecox Rainbowfish
    15 Albino Corys
    2 Bolivian Rams
    The only fish that is a guarantee is the Bn Pleco anything else I will change if needed. So here's my question is there any cichlids that are 6in-10in that will not eat the plants or dig the plants roots out, also has to be compatible with my stock and won't kill anything :p. I'm open to any suggestions.

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Angels would look great, but they aren't temp compatible with the BN Pleco and are barely with Bolivians.

3. OP
    OP
    Kenny777

Yeah @KinsKicks mentioned them. Any other suggestions? The only definite fish that is going to be in the tank is the Bn Pleco

4. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Sajica (T-Bar) will be fine with plants, I think. Not sure how they'd be with your other fish though.

5. OP
    OP
    Kenny777

I thought about those but i heard they can be quite aggressive :confused:

6. MattS99

A lot of your dwarf cichlids will be fine in a planted tank and won't be aggressive. Like rams (which you've mentioned already), apistos, and nannacara anomala.

7. OP
    OP
    Kenny777

I already have a pair of rams written down. I want a decent size cichlid that is about 6in-10in

8. MattS99

Electric blue acara? You'll be having a lot (I'll even say too much) activity towards the bottom of your tank with rams, cories, the pleco, and possibly another cichlid.

9. Katie13

Keyholes would be my next thought, but they look similar to Bolivians to me.

10. MattS99

Festivum?

11. OP
    OP
    Kenny777

They up root plants don t they?
    I'm not a big fan of keyholes

12. Katie13

With EBA, potted plants are best as they are prone to uprooting plants.

13. OP
    OP
    Kenny777

They kinda remind me of Gouramis:p any other options?

I'm not sure if I can find potted plants. Any website suggestions? I was planning Severums but they are plant eaters so I want a cichlid that is about the same size of a Severum

14. MattS99

I honestly think your best bet is to find another dwarf cichlid that you like and put them in there. I really think the festivum is your best bet if you do this though. Get to about 8 inches, hardy, peaceful.

15. Katie13

I double checked that just a minute ago to be sure as they popped into mind. As for potted plants, they can be ordered online and most pet/fish stores tend to carry them. If you went with potted plants, EBA or Port Acaras would be options.

16. OP
    OP
    Kenny777

Okay thanks!!
    Okay I'll keep looking around, thanks for your help!

17. MattS99

There's a lot of beautiful apistos that will work with rams in your sized tank. Just make sure that they have separate areas to claim territories and lots of breaks in their lines of sight.

18. OP
    OP
    Kenny777

Okay I will!

@MikeRad89 @fissh any suggestions?

19. MattS99

By the way, apistogramma borelli and apistogramma cacatuoides would work if you went with rams. Nannacara anomala too, but thy're hard to find.

20. OP
    OP
    Kenny777

Okay I will keep that in mind, thanks!