Sae Taking A Break !

jmaldo

Caught these pics over the weekend. SAE using the Water Wisteria as a hammock. Just sharing.

SAE 1.jpg

SAE 2.jpg

I have 2 SAE's and both were lounging side by side on Sat but could not get a clear pic. But here it is, you can just make them out.

SAE side by side.jpg

Dave125g

My 3 chill on the drift wood. Sometimes they argue over the most comfortable spot tho. Great pictures.
I found a picture of mine relaxing.
8f951a159c017cf83c9efb0b5b842823.jpg

jmaldo

My 3 chill on the drift wood. Sometimes they argue over the most comfortable spot tho. Great pictures.
I found a picture of mine relaxing.
8f951a159c017cf83c9efb0b5b842823.jpg
Nice pic
I was just surprised when I did not see mine. Started looking still could not find them, then found them in a wisteria hammock. So cool.

Dave125g

There awesome fish. Very hard to find tho.

jmaldo

Agree, I was surprised to find them at my LFS. I got them in April they were about 3/4 ", now they are around 3". They do a nice job cleaning the Plant leaves and such. I highly recommend. Here is an older pic. I call Lounging.

Lounging - Copy.jpg

Dave125g

I had to have my LFS order them, but he kept getting flying foxes. The do a fantastic job with my plants. My guys are around a year old and about 5 inches. I got a small school of Otto cats too. I have very little algae to clean every week. I want to get 3 more.

jmaldo

I just ordered some Otto's for my Planted Shrimp tank, hopefully arrive this weekend. I have read they are the only shrimp safe fish, their new home has some algae for them. How do you acclimate them?

Dave125g

I just ordered some Otto's for my Planted Shrimp tank, hopefully arrive this weekend. I have read they are the only shrimp safe fish, their new home has some algae for them. How do you acclimate them?
Mine were wild caught, so they had to be acclimated slowly. I have hard water with a PH of 8.2. I used a drip system.

jmaldo

Thanks

Dave125g

It took me a while, but I finally got my ottos to eat zucchini. For a while all they wanted was algae. With all my algae eaters it quickly ran out. I lost 2 from starvation.

jmaldo

Yep, that's what I have read. Most problems occur if the tank does not have enough algae for them. Good you got them to eat their vegetable.

Dave125g

Yea the tank needs to be well established for them to survive. They wouldn't even eat algae wafers, they like it fresh. There awesome little fish tho. I almost never see them, there always in the plants .

jmaldo

Here's a another pic.

SAE Taking a break.jpg

Dave125g

Mine relax too much to. Lol

Hear is mine. I got all 3 together. I love these guys.
3210dae280920c4c742e181d3ab3cf0d.jpg

jmaldo

I think these guys are underrated, mine are always grazing on the plants and decor. Crazy fast swimmers (like torpedoes) when playing tag. Had them since April. These guys are a joy to watch.

Dave125g

Agree there underrated. Probably because there so hard to find.

jmaldo

Agree there underrated. Probably because there so hard to find.

You might be on to something.
It appears we are the only ones who have SAE's to share. (I hope not).
Come on "Fishlore Members" show us your SAE.
Anyway here are 2 pics I caught the other day.

SAE.jpg

SAE with Platy.jpg

Dave125g

Lchi87 keeps a few I think.

Lchi87

Super late to the party but here are some photos of my guys. I have 5.

21bcddaaff185307256a5223e37bc43b.jpg

b31f2b9434862cafeb4f8e7006516072.jpg

3137b87fdfaee4094fff34b87e6e7fe5.jpg

Dave125g

Super late to the party but here are some photos of my guys. I have 5.
I've been trying to get a few more, but man these are hard to find. Great shots BTW.

jmaldo

Nice pics. It's amazing how they can balance themselves when taking a break and speed demons when playing tag.

Lchi87

Thanks guys! Took about 30 photos to get a few that weren't totally blurry lol. Fast little buggers..

Dave125g

Fast OMG there fast. I had 3 flying foxes with mine, witch I don't recommend. But it took me and my son almost 2 hours to catch the foxes. Uprooted most of my plants in the process. What a nightmare.

Lchi87

Well I HAD five of them. Found one in the cabinet when I grabbing some stuff underneath. Dried to a crisp

Dave125g

Well I HAD five of them. Found one in the cabinet when I grabbing some stuff underneath. Dried to a crisp
Oh no. That sucks. Sorry for your loss. Where do you get yours from?

jmaldo

Bummer. Any idea when or how it happened?

Lchi87

Oh no. That sucks. Sorry for your loss. Where do you get yours from?
Bummer. Any idea when or how it happened?
Thanks, I have two stores that carry them by me so replacing him won't be an issue. Just not sure how he got himself into the cabinet as it is closed all the time. Sigh.

THE HABITAT

Nice looking fish...great pics...how bit a tank do u need for em? I thought they get pretty large? Not trying to be the overstock police just curious

Lchi87

mine have topped out at 5 inches or so and they are in a 55 gallon which I think is suitable for a small group.

jmaldo

Nice looking fish...great pics...how bit a tank do u need for em? I thought they get pretty large? Not trying to be the overstock police just curious
Keep mine in a 55 also. Got them at about 1.5 " now around 3.5 - 4".

Dave125g

Mine are in a 125, but a 55 is large enough.

Thanks, I have two stores that carry them by me so replacing him won't be an issue. Just not sure how he got himself into the cabinet as it is closed all the time. Sigh.
Lucky you. I'm gonna have to order mine on-line. My LFS can't get them any more. Trins Fish appears to have them, but there labeled true Siamese algae eater flying fox. There is a picture of an SAE there but I hesitate to order them, because I don't want a flying fox. I sent them an e-mail a while ago, but have yet to hear back from them.

jmaldo

Lucky you. I'm gonna have to order mine on-line. My LFS can't get them any more. Trins Fish appears to have them, but there labeled true Siamese algae eater flying fox. There is a picture of an SAE there but I hesitate to order them, because I don't want a flying fox. I sent them an e-mail a while ago, but have yet to hear back from them.
I saw that to. Kinda curious the name. I would be hesitant to buy also. It's a small family outfit. Exchanged emails with them awhile back. Hopefully you get a reply.

Dave125g

I saw that to. Kinda curious the name. I would be hesitant to buy also. It's a small family outfit. Exchanged emails with them awhile back. Hopefully you get a reply.
Yea I let them know that what's pictured is an SAE, but there naming 2 different species.

Lchi87

I realize how fortunate I am lol. I hesitate to buy online since these guys are mislabeled all the time. My lfs even gets confused so I just point to the ones I want. They keep their flying foxes together with their SAEs and they're "the same" according to some of the guys that work there so I'm glad I'm able to see them in person and get the right kind. Are they usually wild caught you think?

Dave125g

I realize how fortunate I am lol. I hesitate to buy online since these guys are mislabeled all the time. My lfs even gets confused so I just point to the ones I want. They keep their flying foxes together with their SAEs and they're "the same" according to some of the guys that work there so I'm glad I'm able to see them in person and get the right kind. Are they usually wild caught you think?
Yea there caught in the wild (both SAE and flying fox) as juveniles. They school together as juveniles. As adults (I found out) the foxes get quite aggressive with the SAEs. I had to rehome my foxes for that reason. My LFS kept them in the same tank also. I had to show him the difference between the 2.

Dave125g

Trinsfish finally got back to me. According to them Siamese algae eater and flying fox is 2 common names fir the same species. So I had to educate them. I sent them a picture of each and described the differences.
b5de2496da764eea4e467a0bdf4e42c2.jpg
0b1613ba9ab636483ee35cafec15a28e.jpgflying fox.
c0210fa857dc5ca6910ba23e2068d884.jpgSAE.

jmaldo

Trinsfish finally got back to me. According to them Siamese algae eater and flying fox is 2 common names fir the same species. So I had to educate them. I sent them a picture of each and described the differences. flying fox. SAE.
Nice. So what do they have ?

Dave125g

Nice. So what do they have ?
I still Don't know.lol. What's pictured in an SAE. I ordered 3, so I guess I'll find out.

jmaldo

I still Don't know.lol. What's pictured in an SAE. I ordered 3, so I guess I'll find out.
Funny LOL update with pics when you get them

Lchi87

Its so frustrating to me when sellers don't know what they're selling its like "You guys do this for a living, get it together!!" Sheesh.

jmaldo

Its so frustrating to me when sellers don't know what they're selling its like "You guys do this for a living, get it together!!" Sheesh.
Agree, happens more often than we know. 2 weeks ago had a discussion on a forum. Same issue with the SAE. Mislabeled fish. Caution advised

Dave125g

It is. Mine will be here Monday, so ill post pictures. Hopefully I won't have to rehome 3 more flying foxes. At least this time they'll be easier to catch lol. 26 bucks shipped. Good deal if there SEA's.

jmaldo

I like Trinsfish, I have ordered quite a few items from them. In fact that is where I got my 6 StrebaI Cory in June. They were my first online fish purchase. Here is a funny story to go along with it.
When I received them the water was blue. I was freaking out, why is the water blue.
Started a thread, to ask about the water. Found out it was a preventive measure. Just goes to show how much of a Newbie I was (well still am). LOL

Dave125g

I like Trinsfish, I have ordered quite a few items from them. In fact that is where I got my 6 StrebaI Cory in June. They were my first online fish purchase. Here is a funny story to go along with it.
When I received them the water was blue. I was freaking out, why is the water blue.
Started a thread, to ask about the water. Found out it was a preventive measure. Just goes to show how much of a Newbie I was (well still am). LOL
Trinsfish is very good. They don't have a large selection, but everything they ship is very healthy. They have a great reputation.

Dave125g

There here. I ordered 3 and they sent 4. All appear healthy. There very young mabee a month old. There barely a inch.
5844282af2f1f3ec749f71ed008471d8.jpgthere honestly too young to tell if there foxes or SAEs. I'll have to wait a few months until they get there color.

Lchi87

My goodness, they're VERY young! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

jmaldo

There here. I ordered 3 and they sent 4. All appear healthy. There very young mabee a month old. There barely a inch.
5844282af2f1f3ec749f71ed008471d8.jpgthere honestly too young to tell if there foxes or SAEs. I'll have to wait a few months until they get there color.

Nice

Dave125g

Thanks. Once they acclimated they colored up nice.
5f7d55be729ef793fab01e2cb5f24b89.jpg defiantly SAE.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
attheworld
Replies
Views
SaraCooper
Replies
Views
Champanier
Replies
Views