Sae Questions

Ioana Dog

I have 2 SAEs that are about 3 or 4 inches but they are very fat and don’t eat much algae. I got them to help with my algae problem so I’m annoyed that they are of no help. My are:
Are they really SAEs?
Are they too fat?
Why don’t they eat algae?
Can I keep just one in this tank and move the other to a different tank?
Is a 55 gallon too small for them?

IMG_4809.JPG
IMG_4807.JPG
IMG_4876.JPG
IMG_4877.JPG

IMG_4799.JPG
IMG_4802.jpg

goldface

Those are indeed SAEs, and they eat hair algae quite well. Look at their mouths. They are not designed to scrape algae off of surfaces.

Ioana Dog

Those are indeed SAEs, and they eat hair algae quite well. Look at their mouths. They are not designed to scrape algae off of surfaces.

Thank you. The guy at the store said they would eat all the algae off the plants but they don’t. Can they live alone?

goldface

Thank you. The guy at the store said they would eat all the algae off the plants but they don’t. Can they live alone?
I keep mine alone. It’s been over a year, and still doing fine. It does a great job with sucking up hair algae. It’s like watching a vacuum cleaner. I no longer have hair algae issues. It’s the hard, flat stuff that sticks on surfaces that they won’t touch.

bitseriously

I also keep a lone sae. Mine did a great job of getting black beard algae under control (wasn’t terrible to start, but now nonexistent).
They also need to be a bit hungry to do their job. If you feed the tank often or heavily, they won’t bother with algae.

coralbandit

I have 3 and they eat what I feed ! Yours look well fed !
I don't feed much so I see them all over the tank nibbling but so far I can not say they have helped with algae at all.
They are fairly new to this tank so who knows?

goldface

Being bigger-bodied, they might also be female.

Ioana Dog

I have young corys in the tank so I do feed daily. This is what I get for listening to the fish store! I listened to people on here and out BNs in my other tanks and they are algae free for the most part.

aussieJJDude

I personally would never keep a SAE alone, mine are so social that it would be difficult to keep them by them selves.

In saying that, many find as they get older, they are less likely to eat the algae and instead prefer to eat the foods you offer them. That may also be the case.

Ioana Dog

I personally would never keep a SAE alone, mine are so social that it would be difficult to keep them by them selves.

In saying that, many find as they get older, they are less likely to eat the algae and instead prefer to eat the foods you offer them. That may also be the case.

How many do you have? I heard that they can get territorial and go after their own when they mature. My 2 ignore each other most of the time and will chase each other sometimes but it isn’t anything bad. When I do water changes they will stay with each other so the big bad siphon doesn’t eat them. It’s surprising how agile they are despite being so fat. If they actually ate algae I’d split them up to take care of different tanks but for now I guess I’ll let them be. I might move them to my 75 g at some point.

Do BNs stop eating algae when they get older too?

aussieJJDude

I currently have 3, but hoping to bring up the school to a larger number once the prices drop down a little. They currently around 2 - 4 inches in size, definitely doubled in size from time of purchase!

I find that regardless of age, my BN does nothing! Haha so probably not the best to ask!

goldface

I find mine eats hair algae still. I actually add it from time to time from another tank. As far as BN plecos eating algae as adults, I don’t see why not.

RickyRicardo1838

Hello, I am considering buying 6 siamese algae eaters for my 350 gallon planted tank to help me with staghorn algae. I have already done a lot to battle the algae, and it has gone down significantly, but I am looking for a fish that can help me with the amount that still grows. I have heard siamese algae eaters are great at eating staghorn, but I was curious if anyone can comment on their experience with siamese algae eaters for staghorn or other hair algae. I was also wondering if anyone can comment on whether or not it is true that they stop eating algae when they get bigger. That is the main thing that has kept me from buying them since I do not want to buy them only for them to stop eating the hair algae after a few months.

Pfrozen

I believe it is only the chinese algae eaters and others that get lazy as they mature. the siamese algae eater is well known for eating bba, staghorn, and pretty much whatever else it can find. I have read accounts of lazy SAEs but it doesn't seem to be overly common. btw, can you please post a picture of that 350g planted tank? I would LOVE to see a planted tank that big!!

86 ssinit

Mine always eat algae. I have them in all my tanks. If your over feeding your tank they’ll be overeating and not eating algae. I feed my community tank lightly so they are always nibbling on the algae. Even now as I write.

RickyRicardo1838

Mine always eat algae. I have them in all my tanks. If your over feeding your tank they’ll be overeating and not eating algae. I feed my community tank lightly so they are always nibbling on the algae. Even now as I write.
Good to hear they are good at eating algae! Do your big ones eat algae too?

RickyRicardo1838

I believe it is only the chinese algae eaters and others that get lazy as they mature. the siamese algae eater is well known for eating bba, staghorn, and pretty much whatever else it can find. I have read accounts of lazy SAEs but it doesn't seem to be overly common. btw, can you please post a picture of that 350g planted tank? I would LOVE to see a planted tank that big!!

20201118_172637.jpg
20201106_201251.jpg

Pfrozen

wow thank you! those swords must be just massive in person!

RickyRicardo1838

wow thank you! those swords must be just massive in person!
lol yes they are pretty big, and so are some of the fish, the tank makes everything look tiny.

Pfrozen

lol yes they are pretty big, and so are some of the fish, the tank makes everything look tiny.

Actually, those fish still look pretty big even with the perspective lol. I can definitely see them being huge

StarGirl

I had BBA is why I got them in my 55g. The big one is in between 3-4 inches. They eat all food I give the community and eat the algae too. They skim up and down the Vals all the time. No slowing down on them yet.

RickyRicardo1838

Is that a severum in there?? Is he not munching every plant to death??
Yes, it is a gold severum. No, he does not seem to like the plants, I have noticed he does like to eat certain stem plants but so far all the plants I have are good.

86 ssinit

Yes my SAE still eat algae

jmaldo

RickyRicardo1838

Nice Tank.
As mentioned if you overfeed they will gobble up the leftovers and forget about the algae. Just ensure you get true SAE, to often they are mislabeled at the LFSs.
I have kept them in a Planted 55 and they flourished, became fat torpedoes with jet packs. Zoom Zoom when playing tag with each other.

SAE staring contest.jpg

Deku-Cory

I've gone down a bit of a rabbit hole when it comes to Siamese Algae Eaters. Basically, I found out that there are multiple very similar species that are sold as Siamese Algae Eaters, which frankly explains many things. But information on these species is extremely lacking, and the information I have found is often contradicting.

So I really need some photos of Siamese Algae Eaters, along with a bit of information. Do they eat BBA? If they don't, did they used to? How do they act with each other? (If you own multiple.)
As I get more information, I hope to make a guide on the different species of Siamese Algae Eater.

Here is one of mine, a juvenile who I believe is Crossocheilus langei. I have two that are this species, and one I got at the same time who's a yet to be determined species. (And who is also extremely difficult to get a good photograph of.) That's what sent me on this journey in the first place.

Screenshot_20210316-184129_Video Player.jpg

Myyyman

Well, I'll tell you what I know of them.
1. They don't actually have a swim bladder! This is made obvious by the way they swim, particularly juveniles, in a hovering fashion, rapidly moving their pectoral fins.
2. They're often confused with Flying Foxes, you can tell them apart by observing their stripe. SAEs have a stripe that lasts all the way down to the end of their caudal fin.
3. They get to about 6" and some individuals can become boisterous as they age.
4. They are actually schooling fish and if they have none to school with then they school with other fish. Juveniles sometimes shoal with corys, and adults can school with denison barbs. They often hover over plants together, sometimes making a circle - as if they're having a conversation.
5. They go by many confusing names, including Siamese Algae Eater, Flying Fox Siamese and Siamese Catfish.

Hope that helps and I look forward to your guide!

Champanier

Here is mine - sold as Crossocheilus siamensis, but I don’t know enough to say if that’s right. I ordered a group of nine online with overnight shipping. (I can’t get them locally.) They came a week ago. Three were dead in the bag and three more just laid on their side occasionally fluttering a fin, but those three were all dead by morning. So three are left and seem to be doing okay. They’re very small - less than an inch. They’re in the quarantine tank and I’ll wait till they’re much bigger before adding to the tank with my two goldfish. I am considering buying another group of six or nine from a different vendor so they can have a bigger school. From what I read, they’re happier with more companions. Thanks for trying to put together more information.

Attachments

• 0F630350-5258-4043-BEEB-F43FF7B328B4.jpeg
    0F630350-5258-4043-BEEB-F43FF7B328B4.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 27

Champanier

Here are the three together. They are very young and just started to stay close yesterday. So far, it’s hard to see what they’re eating. They hang on the glass sometimes and seem to be eating from the sand as well as nibbling algae off plants.

Attachments

• CF6287F1-6F81-4D89-89A4-3F1A839D2F99.jpeg
    CF6287F1-6F81-4D89-89A4-3F1A839D2F99.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 27

Champanier

I got some clearer Siamese Algae Eater photos

Attachments

• BD851998-7528-47D6-B710-0409C6133C96.jpeg
    BD851998-7528-47D6-B710-0409C6133C96.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 45799658-3A36-436B-B04F-2843A99F34BB.jpeg
    45799658-3A36-436B-B04F-2843A99F34BB.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 29

jmaldo

By no means an expert but I find quite a few LFSs mislabel SAE. I have kept trios off and on since I started. In fact just picked up a trio a few months ago, they were about 1" and are nibbling on BBA, gone for now. They are close to 3" and are very quick when playing tag. I always refer them to torpedoes with jet packs. When young they do help with algae but as most will say they eventually figure out to eat the scraps/leftovers. Here are a few pics of mine over the years... Fat little cigars..

SAE 1.jpg

SAE.jpg

Here is one of the trio I got a few months ago.

SAE.jpg

Good Luck

86 ssinit

Champanier yours do look off. Maybe a different species? Or flying foxes? Not sure but like Jmaldo mine have the three different color shades.
573DC540-A070-4DEE-9F9C-185F1004EBCC.jpeg
FCD965A2-EEFC-4518-BA05-52282F65D0BF.jpeg

Mudminnow

I think you have an interesting idea here.

777090-0c20e8f12be8d516b0d36ea024d740a2.jpg

Here are a few of mine. I have 6 in this tank. Sorry, they kept swimming away from the camera, so this was the best I could get. The smaller ones were sold to me as C. oblongus. The larger one is from a LFS, and I have no clue what species of SAE it is. I got the smaller ones about 3 months ago. They were about .5" at that time, and they are about 2" now. I've had the larger one for about 6 months. She was about 1" long when I got her, and she is about 3.5" now.

They all eat BBA (and several other types of algae). They are active but peaceful. They're either busily munching on algae or schooling together (along with my rasboras and hovering loaches) in the open water. The larger one will take rests from time to time, but the little ones don't.

Attachments

• SAEs (2).jpg
    SAEs (2).jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 21

Champanier

Champanier yours do look off. Maybe a different species? Or flying foxes? Not sure but like Jmaldo mine have the three different color shades.
I’m new to this, so I’m going just by what I read online - and knowing that everything online isn’t necessarily true. My understanding is that flying foxes have color in the dorsal fin, but mine don’t. They also don’t have the lighter stripe above the black that some SAEs appear to have. They’re very young and only about an inch long. Here are that shows the color a little better and size compared with the Amano shrimp, which are also quite small. I haven’t found anything that shows the difference among SAE species - it would be interesting to see.

Attachments

• C673BB9D-1E73-4264-BE6F-20BDC59F64AF.jpeg
    C673BB9D-1E73-4264-BE6F-20BDC59F64AF.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 27
  • BCED5FD9-7D0F-4994-87A6-C66A3D5FC8C5.jpeg
    BCED5FD9-7D0F-4994-87A6-C66A3D5FC8C5.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 27

86 ssinit

Much different in these pics. Must have been the lighting :). Yes SAE and small!

Champanier

Here are all three together. Two are always together and the other only joins them occasionally.

Attachments

• 11538709-960C-4986-95EC-18A87C917E59.jpeg
    11538709-960C-4986-95EC-18A87C917E59.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 24

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies
Views
sinned4g63