SAE compatible in my tank?

~Fanci~

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello, any experienced SAE keepers out there? I am having a black beard algae outbreak and have been doing some research on the Siamese Algae Eater. It's been hard finding info regarding its compatibility though! My tank is a 39 gallon with one pleco (he's about 3 1/2 to 4 inches long), 4 YoYo loaches (biggest is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches), 6 mollies and 4 black neon tetras. The pleco and loaches get along well, but he does butt at them if they try to come under "his" piece of driftwood...other than that, it is a very peaceful tank. I was looking to add 1 SAE to help with the BBA outbreak, though I read they prefer schools so maybe 2? Are these fish compatible with loaches and the pleco? I am planning for the pleco to have a larger tank of his own but not until the end of the year so they'd need to get along for awhile. Other than fish the tank also has 2 large pieces of driftwood (1 off limits of course, as per pleco rules), a small ceramic pot and 2 purchased "caves", 2 anubias plants, 2 bronze wendtii'a' an amazon sword and a few java ferns, so we're not without hiding spots! ...What do you think?

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Have 3 SAEs sold to me as floying foxes. Perfer to keep them in two's about the same size. Know when I added a dojo loach with them it took about a week for them to work out their differances. Not sure how it will work with your YoYos.

P.S I had to move the smaller of the 3 SAE to the my other tank, he got picked on the most the 1st week.

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have two full grown SAEs and just recently added two young ones. They live in harmony with my CAEs, guppies, and mollies, though the SAEs will eat fry of they can catch them. SAEs are fun little fish and they are so cute when they eat because they chew really fast.

~Fanci~

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks guys. I didn't get as much feedback as I hoped I would yesterday aft and evening, but I went to my LFS and purchased 2 SAE's. They're pretty fun and so far I've got no regrets They spent most of the evening trying to school with the tetras but they're so fast! They kept spooking them away instead. Seems like they are more comfortable keeping near each other, so I'm glad I picked up 2. They've already spent some time skirting around the plant leaves so I'll post an update on how the Black Beard Algae is looking...and if they have won over the tetras Thanks again for your help!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads