SAE behaviour

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by Kimberly4403, Jul 28, 2015.

1. K

Kimberly4403 Well Known Member Member

Is it normal for 1 SAE to be dominant over the others.. It doesnt go for any other fish in the tank but likes to chase the other SAEs around and in circles.. I know my cherry barbs do it within thier little group to but not as often as the SAE.. Im positive all 5 are all true SAEs as they all have the black line going into thier tails

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Probably establishing a pecking order amongst themselves. Sometimes when I drop algae wafers for the bottom dwellers, I'll usually see one of the SAEs nipping at another and going in circles like you described.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. MightyCucumber

MightyCucumber Valued Member Member

Same thing with my 3 SAEs, it's a common behavior in this species. :) Nothing to worry about, as these displays of dominance seem to be just that and never scale up to full blown fights.

4. OP
    OP
    K

Kimberly4403 Well Known Member Member

Is common for them to chase other fish at feeding time?
    Ive noticed my adult SAE will chase the corys at feeding time but not at anyother time.. Im going to start spreading out the sinking waffers instead of feeding them in one spot might help and make sure everyone is getting thier fare share of food..

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yea that's normal, mine do it during feeding time too. But at other times, all they do is eat algae off plants and the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice