Sadness

1. mopa Member Member

Over the past 4 weeks ive lost 2 of my peppered cories, Came home last nite to the sight of the second one wrapped around the filter intake pipe.:( My tank is a established tank with constant readings as follows:

ph 8.2 same as tap water

amon 0

nitrite 0

nitrates 5-10

temp 78 but running a little higher round 79 80 cause summertime.

My elderly parents live with me and father has a blood disorder so always cold so have to keep house warm cause he always cold. This leaves tank most time in warm conditions. Not sure if this was cause of death though.:;dete

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Peppered corys are a cool water fish around 20-22C, the high temperature could have been a contributing factor in their death, the high Ph could also have been a factor as they prefer softer water.
    I'm sorry you lost them :(

3. mopa Member Member

Hope it wasn't a disease so other fish not effected. They survived for 8 months in same ph and same temp even survived 3 week of 86 to treat ich

4. aHumanBeing Well Known Member Member

PH is usually not an issue for fish, as long as they are properly acclimated they can survive. In my opinion if the PH was going to kill them off it would have happened much sooner than 8 months. Is it possible that the tank is in some direct sun light at this time of the year and the tank is increasing drastically during points of the day? If that was the case it could have left them stressed and vulnerable to any disease. What are you using to measure the temperature in the tank?

I'm sorry about your Cories :(

5. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Another possibility: do you have a planted tank? If so, did you recently start dosing with Excel, or did you up the dosage recently?

6. mopa Member Member

Thanks for all the replies. Tank is not planted and I keep direct sunlight away from tank. I know it has a little too much light cause I do have a small green algae growth on the glass, which I wipe away each week cleaning the tank.