Saddled Bichir

Discussion in 'Oddball Fish' started by pepetj, Apr 16, 2010.

1. pepetj

pepetjWell Known MemberMember

I rescued two juveniles (around 6 1/2 to 6 3/4" SL) Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri. Most probably wild caught, from Niger.

They are quite skinny since they were badly cared for (the guy at LFS was feeding them once a week so go figure).

I placed them in a 5.5gal I had "full" of Red Cherry Shrimp since I need to induce them into eating. I saw a few pics of them as healthy adults and they look great.

This pics I took in the LFS.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  2. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Cool fish. Hopefully they pull through.
    I just looked them up, they get absolutely huge! They'll definitely be interesting additions to your collection. :)

3. Tony G.

Tony G.Fishlore VIPMember

mighty cool! hope you can bring them back to health!

4. OP
    OP
    pepetj

They could grow up to 32" -maybe more- in captivity. I'll design a custom built shallow yet long tank for them. They aren't active fish. They don't require much swimming space. A 6 footer that is 24" wide with 8 to 12" height of water column should do it.

I have room in my internal patio at my office for them. I intend to keep my other oddball fish, the West African Lung fish at my new place since all in the family love him/her.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

5. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Sounds like a good setup for such a fish. I'll eventually have an aquarium with the space for a large fish (and not stock it with fish so small that they'll be known only as "lunch").

6. haji4

haji4Valued MemberMember

They are nice fish. I really enjoy the bichirs. Mine is so funny and he like to stand up to all of the other fish. I want to find mine a friend.

7. platy ben

platy benWell Known MemberMember

Hmm, I've seen that fish become a lot more common in my LFS, but they label it as a dragon reed fish or something, is it the same fish?
    Great looking fish!

8. OP
    OP
    pepetj

To avoid common mislabeling, I would ask for the latin name. If it start with Polypterus you have yourself a bichir. This same fellows are sometimes named as Dinosaur Bichir, Dragon Bichir but I believe those labels are used for other Polypterus species as well.

There are between 12 to 16 species of Polypterus to date.

These two specimens I got were mislabaled as P lapradei but after checking with my new friend and Bichir expert, Mr Hao, a 14 years old boy from China, I know I have Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri, likely wild caught, from Niger River.

Note that most of the Bichirs are nocturnal. They will likely just stay put during daytime. Great if you want a somewhat quiet tank.

I love mine. I wish I could get some more.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

9. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

He's beautiful Pepe!

Congratulations!

10. OP
    OP
    pepetj

One of them went on hunger strike for a couple of days. Tonight I fed just after lights off time began, I tossed a piece of Tilapia filet and both went for it! Each Bichir grabbed an end and went crazy. They detached one Anubias barteri, a bit of substrate storm, they even broke the Java moss they used to hide underneath.

This creatures are great to watch feeding. I'm doing every other day 50% water change since I have them in a mature but quite small tank.

I'm working on the design of a custom built 5footer for them (60"L x 24"W x 16"H).

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

11. btate617

btate617Well Known MemberMember

Nice pick up Pepe.

Good luck with them.

Brian

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice