Sad Story - First Qauils

MD_Plants

Let me start the story by saying, it might be long and sad.

So around Five or so months ago, we got a dog. Now we are not new to dog we have had dogs our whole life. His name is chewy and he is a 12-year-old retired police service German Shepherd. Unfortunately, he has multiple stomach digestive issues, and if not fed a specific diet, he has diarrhea and stomach pains.

in an effort to help my mom pay for the chicken that goes into his food, which was costing around $20 a week, I wanted to get into raising poultry. I don’t have the space for chicken nor the time to take care of them, so I wanted to get a smaller bird, quail.

So after a few months of research and talking to different owners, etc. I came in contact with a seller on eBay. I ordered 50 quail eggs and requested that they be shipped out Monday so they could get there before next weekend when I’ll be home. The eggs are shipping from north Carolina. well that’s where we have the first problem, the eggs came Saturday. Five days later in almost freezing temperatures.

I also ordered an incubator off Amazon that was around $40, as I was only doing 50 eggs.

I start the eggs and one day 14, or three nights ago, increased humidity and stopped turning. I wake up the next morning with two beautiful little checks in the incubator. I leave them in there, as they’re still wet, and I go to school. When I get home I have 10 more checks in there, for a total of 12. Unfortunately, the cheapness of the incubator played his part. Checks had slid in between the gray that is between the water reservoir in the bottom of the incubator in the actual hatching area and three checks were stuck in there. After unscrewing the entire base and getting them out, I noticed one of them had a messed up beak. now by this I mean the bottom part of it speak was shifted 30° or so to the right of the top. that night, yesterday, and all this morning I heard squealing from the brooder.

I didn’t think it was anything, until I realized it sounded more painful than normal chicks. I made a post about it and another form with vocalized on chickens and quail and I was advised to euthanize. so I just took the beautiful little Jack outside and quickly ended his life with a 22. It was my first call of my first batch, and while I realized it will eventually happen, it was still sad.

nikm128

Usually the better decision is the harder one to make
I'm sorry you had to do that

Fanatic

That's so sad, but I am confused, you had to euthanize one of the quails?

MD_Plants

Sorry speech to text messed up. Yes, it’s whole mouth was deformed and it could not eat or drink and would of been a painful death if it continued to go onz

Similar Aquarium Threads

• MaximumRide14
  • Bird
Replies
Views
MaximumRide14
  • Question
  • fishkeeper19524
  • Bird
Replies
Views
fishkeeper19524