Sad News please help....

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nitemelodies, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Nitemelodies

NitemelodiesValued MemberMember

So... I have some sad news... My blue glo fish Stitch has passed on...

He was given as a gift... and was struggling this morning...

I was growing plants in my small tank when... i was given two unwanted fish... Stitch and Pleakley....

Pleakley i feel his spine is a bit curved...

10578048_742573332456110_1867025124_o.jpg10586944_742573209122789_1623499358_o.jpg

does he look okay...? Hes gonna be lonely now.... I was cycling the little planted tank... so I could move it to the 20 gallon I want to setup... because I know the tank I have is too little for danios... so I was hoping theyd be okay for a little... I cant even give them back T.T

I was wondering if I should be worried about him... or if he had TB I dont know.... Im so sad T.T

2. Adam55

Adam55Well Known MemberMember

I'm sorry to hear that. What are your water parameters?

3. OP
    OP
    Nitemelodies

Checking amonia levels... rn has to develop. .. but I don't have nitrates bc I wasn't cycling it before just plants o.o

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

My amonia is still spiking it's been about a week... it's between .5 poms and 1.... I don't know what to do I was planning fish here

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
  4. hollie1505

hollie1505Well Known MemberMember

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news :(

I think you should perform a water change to get that ammonia down, it'll help him feel better. Mind you don't cross contaminate though!

He doesn't look well though I'm afraid. @junebug has experience with some mycos and may be able to advise you here.

Again, so sorry for your loss.xx

5. OP
    OP
    Nitemelodies

I already changed the water about 30% earlier today! Do I do another? I have 1407112892808.jpg1407112949005.jpg
    I put some of that in...
    T.T

I'm worried it's TB o.o

6. plecostomuch

plecostomuchValued MemberMember

7. Adam55

Adam55Well Known MemberMember

I really don't think it's TB. The symptoms of TB in fish are pretty drastic. From what I saw in that pic, I would rule it out.

8. hollie1505

I don't know what that product is, does it detoxify ammonia too? If so, that's brill!

Hows Pleakley today?xx

9. OP
    OP
    Nitemelodies

oh sweet thats good! I'd be terrified if it was! He might just have amonia burns and maybe posien ? i d not know.

10. OP
    OP
    Nitemelodies

Pleakley is okay! no bad signs he just swimming around through the Amazon Sword plant! thats his favorite spot!

It is supposed to detoxify amonia but still allow for cycle or something like that!

11. hollie1505

That stuff will be fine. It will probably turn the ammonia into ammonium which isn't toxic to fish but the ammonia bacteria can still eat it.

I have a neon that looked similar, had a crazy bent spine (from above it was 'Z' shaped and lost all it's colour, symptoms of tb. But three months later he's still here, fine and recovered. I think it was an injury. Maybe that's Pleakleys problem? Just a thought.

Seeing as he's alone, I would just keep an eye on him for now. Although I would like someone with Mycos experience to chime in. ( endlercollector @junebug @poeticinjustices you all spring to mind, sorry to steer you this way but you're all way more knowledgeable here)xx

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  12. ricmcc

ricmccWell Known MemberMember

Because it can be so devastating, TB is often mentioned, but is actually one of the less common diseases, at least in fish.
    I think that maybe a genetic abnormality is far more likely, and, if if not too severe, often allows them to lead a normal life.
    I would do something about your ammonia, however, perhaps more WCs until it is under control, as the levels that you speak of are far more frequently the cause of illness in fish than is TB, to the best of my knowledge.
    And although your danio will love a change to new quarters where there is some room for buddies, please do introduce them fairly slowly----all the best to you, rick

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice