Sad News About The 55 Sump/ Help Sw Or Fw

Marco Rodriguez

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi,

So I had my whole summer planned around using my spare 55 and spare 30 to make a SW tank and Sump... so sadly I’ve just learned that my 55 actually is tempered and now I can’t drill it. I don’t rly want an overflow box so I’m left w the decision to just make the 55 a SW tank and use the 30 as a giant ATO maybe? Or make them both SW or both Fresh. I’m rly lost here. I do have all the freshwater equipment which would make it easier and I heard someone say there’s no point in a SW 55 but I just wanted other opinions because I feel like a SW would be fun.

Thanks so much!!

toomanyfishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't keep saltwater but do know a few things. If you want a sw tank, use the 55 and use the 30 for hospital and quarantine, especially for wild caught fish. However, If you were me I'd do a 55 gallon cichlid tank, especially since you have the equipment. What ever setup is easier for you, go for it.
Edit: If you haven't kept tanks for some time, do a fw tank or even a brackish tank. A brackish could help you into the salt life and maybe you could get an archer(you can train them to spit water)

Last edited:

Marco Rodriguez

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't keep saltwater but do know a few things. If you want a sw tank, use the 55 and use the 30 for hospital and quarantine, especially for wild caught fish. However, If you were me I'd do a 55 gallon cichlid tank, especially since you have the equipment. What ever setup is easier for you, go for it.
Edit: If you haven't kept tanks for some time, do a fw tank or even a brackish tank. A brackish could help you into the salt life and maybe you could get an archer(you can train them to spit water)
Hi. Yeah I was debating an African cichlids tank where I could paint the back of the 55 black... and then the 30 could be SW. had fish for like 2 years now i have a 37 FW and a 10 SW now. And the 55 and 30 were originally FW before I disassembled for the SW tank and sump.. never heard of an arched. Is that a fish!? That’s so cool

toomanyfishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi. Yeah I was debating an African cichlids tank where I could paint the back of the 55 black... and then the 30 could be SW. had fish for like 2 years now i have a 37 FW and a 10 SW now. And the 55 and 30 were originally FW before I disassembled for the SW tank and sump.. never heard of an arched. Is that a fish!? That’s so cool
Archers are grey and have black bands on them. Yeah, its really cool how they can sput water to knock down bugs above water. I would leave some space above the tank to put a long stick across the tank, or even have it open top and put a stick above as well, but they are jumpers. If cou can operate a 10 gal sw nano tank, its sounds like you've got tricks of aquariums. The 37 for sw and 55 for fw, sw, or even bw. If there's a cool fish you want but needs a bigger tank use the 55. Again, what ever floats your boat!

Marco Rodriguez

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Archers are grey and have black bands on them. Yeah, its really cool how they can sput water to knock down bugs above water. I would leave some space above the tank to put a long stick across the tank, or even have it open top and put a stick above as well, but they are jumpers. If cou can operate a 10 gal sw nano tank, its sounds like you've got tricks of aquariums. The 37 for sw and 55 for fw, sw, or even bw. If there's a cool fish you want but needs a bigger tank use the 55. Again, what ever floats your boat!
great thanks so much! I'll look into it. I think I'm going to keep the 10 as Salt and make the 30 Salt, and use the ATO from the 10 i currently have to fill both the 10 and the 30. then leave the 37 as my FW Angel/ Apisto Tank. and go all out on the African Cichlids for the 55. Hopefully with all the old equipment I have I can limit my budget somewhat. Wish me luck!!

toomanyfishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
great thanks so much! I'll look into it. I think I'm going to keep the 10 as Salt and make the 30 Salt, and use the ATO from the 10 i currently have to fill both the 10 and the 30. then leave the 37 as my FW Angel/ Apisto Tank. and go all out on the African Cichlids for the 55. Hopefully with all the old equipment I have I can limit my budget somewhat. Wish me luck!!
Good luck! I thought you could do 1 clown per 10 gallons. Be sure to keep majority females for cichilids, 1male for every 3 to 4 females

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom